Songs From The Promise

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
"The Promise: The Making of Darkness On The Edge of Town" was directed by Grammy- and Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Thom Zimny. The film premiered on HBO and received a rapturous critical response around the world, including as an official selection, Toronto International Film Festival, The BFI London Film Festival, and The International Rome Film Festival. The Los Angeles Times gave 'The Promise' five stars, while Variety called it "thrilling--a vivid portrait."

The ninety-minute documentary combines never-before-seen footage of Springsteen and the E Street Band shot between 1976 and 1978—including home rehearsals and studio sessions—with new interviews with Springsteen, E Street Band members, manager Jon Landau, former-manager Mike Appel, and others closely involved in the making of the record.

The film was also included in the 2010 box set 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story,' which Rolling Stone called "extraordinary [and] fascinating" and The Washington Post described as "a revelation."

"Songs From The Promise" was filmed before an audience of approximately sixty fans in December, 2010, in Asbury Park, NJ's historic carousel house. For this one-time concert event, Springsteen and members of the E Street Band lineup—Clarence Clemons, Stevie Van Zandt, Max Weinberg, Roy Bittan, and Gary Tallent—were joined by keyboardist Charles Giordano, a full horn section—Ed Manion, Barry Danielian, Curt Ramm, Clark Gayton and Stan Harrison—and special guest David Lindley, who played violin during the original recording sessions. Directed and edited by Zimny and mixed by Emmy-winner Bob Clearmountain, the concert features the only live E Street Band performances of four tracks from 'The Promise' plus "Blue Christmas."

"Songs From The Promise" Tracklist:
1. "Racing in the Street ('78)
2. "Gotta Get That Feeling"
3. "Ain't Good Enough For You"
4. "The Promise"
5. "Blue Christmas"

SOURCE: Bruce Springsteen News: brucespringsteen.net

Here are the videos for Songs From The Promise. Racing In The Street is a different version than the one on the original album. It really shows Bruce's heart and soul that he puts into his music. It also shows how good he is on the harmonica. Ain't Good Enough For You shows Bruce's fun side. I think you'll really like this one. I like them all! I wish I were one of the lucky people walking on the boardwalk that night that got invited in the old carousel house for a special show. Enjoy!

Racing In The Street

Gotta Get That Feeling

Ain't Good Enough For You

The Promise (couldn't find the live version of this)

Blue Christmas

This is where all these songs were performed, the Carousel House in Asbury Park, NJ:

display.jpg

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Excellent post, JG!:grinthumb

I haven't gotten The Promise package yet. It's the only official Springsteen album I don't have.:uh: But it's on the Christmas wishlist. In the meantime, thanks for posting the videos. Definitely going to watch.:D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I got this and I think it's really good....took a bit of growing but I enjoy it just fine.

:grinthumb :cheers2

rtbuck

Reaction score
Sounds great! Love the vids. I guess this will go on my want list especially seeing as 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' is my favorite Springsteen album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Not a big DVD music buff myself, I almost prefer just enjoying the "magic" of a well done recording without knowing what went into it....yep I'm old fashioned and a stick in the mud.:D

However you have inspired me to play "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" today JG, I bought that record when it came out but it didn't really make a dent for some reason. It's in the "I like it more now than I did then" category of my collection.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online