Song Diary

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I just heard "Eminence Front" by The Who.

It made me think, for the first time in years, of a young Who fan I was work friends with in the 80's. He thought that "Face Dances" was a great Who album, second only to "Quadrophenia" and I enjoyed the time he spent trying to convince me. He had some personal problems and moved to another city soon after.

A year or so later, I got a phone call from him. Things were going very well for him. He thanked me for advice and very small acts of kindness I had long forgotten. He asked me if I'd heard "It's Hard". He liked it even better than Face Dances. I told him I liked "Eminence Front"

He was a nice guy and I'm glad I thought of him today.

How about you?
any songs remind you of stuff?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Lots of songs remind me of things. Weird things mostly.

Pink Floyd - Sheep off of Animals reminds me of Hurricane Iwa in 1981. That was the song that was playing when the power went off at the student radio station I had decided to ride the storm out at. No windows in the studios so we felt relatively safe. The emergency power came on and we had lights but that was about it. A bunch of us sat around getting stoned and then went for a walk - the eye of the hurricane was coming through at the time. We ended up at the Campus Center where we knew two guys who had an apartment there - they were the maintenance type people for the building - and ended up on the roof of Campus Center watching the eye pass and the winds start up again. Not real smart, eh? Idiot college kids walking around in the middle of a hurricane and ending up standing on a roof.

We quickly made it back to the radio station and waited out the rest of the hurricane. It didn't hit Oahu as badly as it hit Kauai so despite the downed trees and a bit of time before power was restored, we were okay. I also remember the power coming back on and the song Sheep starting up right where it left off cause no one had thought to take the arm off the record player.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Song: Juke Box Hero by Foreigner... reminds me of my first ever concert experience. No, I didn't see Foreigner, we drove 4 hours to Hershey to see Robert Plant and The Who. We got home at like 5am and at 3am they do a late night block on the radio and they did Foreigner and played Juke Box Hero. So that song reminds me of the show, stopping at truck stops at 3am, listening to The Who and driving around at night.

I've got plenty, I'm sure, but I've got a bad memory.

cnbpjb

Reaction score
Styx's "The Best Of Times" reminds me of my high school graduation of 1981, since that was the year I graduated and that was my high school graduation theme song. (It brings back good and bad memories, both -- I was so awkward and shy compared to many in my graduation class -- although some of my fellow classmates had said that I wouldn't ever graduate high school, let alone get a degree in history later on from the University of South Florida).

Foreigner's "Waiting For A Girl Like You", reminds me of my first true romance (and not just sex) when I was attending St. Petersburg Junior College in 1981 - 1982.

Have fond memories of riding in cars (I didn't drive until 1986) and my wonderful grades -- got on the Dean's List at St. Petersburg Junior College, in my trips back and forth to St. Petersburg Junior College, from New Port Richey, FL, to such songs as:

"I Love Rock 'n' Roll" - Joan Jett & the Blackhearts (fond dancing memories, as well)
"Heat Of The Moment" - Asia
"We Got The Beat" - the Go-Go's
"Turn Your Love Around" - George Benson (one of my rides, a driver who was one of my fellow high school buddies, used to tease me about the cow farms, singing instead, "Turn Your Cow Around" :D :cool: )
"Who Can It Be Now?" - Men At Work
"Rock The Casbah" - the Clash
"Gloria" - Laura Branigan
"Let's Dance" - David Bowie
"Rio" & "Hungry Like The Wolf" - Duran Duran
And several Rush songs.

My first night out, with the boys and girls, at the University of South Florida -- with others from my dorm (I was in one of the few dorms that were co-ed, one half the boys, the other half the girls) -- and I went out and drank (but only two alcoholic drinks) this particular Friday night and also danced at two clubs, in February 1984:

"Let The Music Play" - Shannon
"Girls Just Want To Have Fun" - Cyndi Lauper
"Talking In Your Sleep" - the Romantics
"The Politics Of Dancing" - Re-Flex
"Jump" - Van Halen
"Burning Down The House" - the Talking Heads
being pinched on one of the dance floors brings back memories of, and oh no! :eek: : "Wanna Be Startin' Something" - Michael Jackson

Last edited:

Nirvanadude

Vinyl Collector
Reaction score
Lately I've been cranking Peter Gabriel's "Kiss That Frog" in my truck on the way to work.

Great tune, great Hammond B3 and it really shakes my subwoofer.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
that song reminds me of a time when a stranger offered me a ride and I needed a ride.
He was playing the "Us" cd in his big Oldsmobile. We didn't really talked because he cranked it.

I was surprised when I heard that song was nasty.
It never even occured to me.
It's probably just as well I didn't think about that while I was in that guy's Oldsmobile!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online