Son House

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Anybody listen to him? I hear he's one of the real founders of the blues. My brother was watching a DVD of the 1964 Newport Folk Festival and Sun House was there. He was saying such cool things about the blues that I got inspired to buy one of his albums over the net. Hasn't come yet though.

H

halcyon days

AboutAGirl said:
Anybody listen to him? I hear he's one of the real founders of the blues. My brother was watching a DVD of the 1964 Newport Folk Festival and Sun House was there. He was saying such cool things about the blues that I got inspired to buy one of his albums over the net. Hasn't come yet though.

i have heard of him and heard some of him, Eddie James "Son" House i think he was born way back in 1900

he played acoustic delta blues in a way that was not showy but full of emotion and his voice was powerful as heck

i think i rember he did Dry Spell Blues and Preachin'

i may have to try and find a copy of that dvd it sounds good

AboutAGirl, I hope you like the cd you ordered let me know.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Mick Jagger has said that he is a strong influence on the band, I'll check some of the recordings out.
Evidently he was quite a songwriter for his day; I like Robert Johnson and Elmore James' songs.

H

halcyon days

Drummer Chris said:
Mick Jagger has said that he is a strong influence on the band, I'll check some of the recordings out.
Evidently he was quite a songwriter for his day; I like Robert Johnson and Elmore James' songs.

cool chris, i didn't know that about mick thanks for the info

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Yeah, HD..if you ever want to check out a really heavy bluesy concert by the Stones
try to find the Hyde Park (London) concert from 1969.
It was released on video years ago and is a tribute concert to Brian Jones a few days after he passed and was Mick Taylor's first live appearance with the band.
Very emotional concert, the boys were obviously affected by their band-mates death.

H

halcyon days

Drummer Chris said:
Yeah, HD..if you ever want to check out a really heavy bluesy concert by the Stones
try to find the Hyde Park (London) concert from 1969.
It was released on video years ago and is a tribute concert to Brian Jones a few days after he passed and was Mick Taylor's first live appearance with the band.
Very emotional concert, the boys were obviously affected by their band-mates death.

Cool Chris, I never even heard of that one. I have heard the expected Ya Ya's etc... but that Hyde Park sounds like a great find. I think Mick (Talyor)was the best lead axman they ever had and I love then around this era so thanks for the cool tip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:

House was a contemporary of Charley Patton and Tommy Johnson. Robert Johnson was a few years younger and learned to play from these older guys. I saw Son House live in 1969. I was only 17 and I had trouble fully appreciating this old dude with highly percussive guitar style and deep -- almost indecipherable -- voice. I've got almost all his original stuff from 1930. I'd give anything to see him again today when I'd fully appreciate him.

A couple of years ago I had a chance meeting with a semi-famous guy in the blues world who was House's manager when he was rediscovered during the early 60s folk revival. He told me a great story:

The Rolling Stones were on TV (Shindig?) in 64 or 65. They refused to play unless Howlin' Wolf was also on the bill. My acquaintance heard that Wolf was filming the show in New York and took House to the studio. It was the first time Wolf and House had seen each other in many (20?) years. They embraced and entered into a long talk about old times. One of the Stones noticed the two talking and asked someone about the old guy talking to Wolf. He was told it was Son House. The Stone's eyes grew wide and he said "Wow, man, that's the guy who taught Robert Johnson to play the guitar."

At this point, the storyteller turned to me and said: "And do you know which Stone it was?" He was somewhat surprised when I said "Brian." He looked at me a little more closely and said "Nobody gets that right. You know your stuff." I don't mean to brag by repeating this, but this guy is someone for whom I have tremendous respect and I admit that made my day. :)

Spike

algernon

Reaction score
Great story...and i would expect nothing less from you, Spike.

H

halcyon days

Spike said:
House was a contemporary of Charley Patton and Tommy Johnson. Robert Johnson was a few years younger and learned to play from these older guys. I saw Son House live in 1969. I was only 17 and I had trouble fully appreciating this old dude with highly percussive guitar style and deep -- almost indecipherable -- voice. I've got almost all his original stuff from 1930. I'd give anything to see him again today when I'd fully appreciate him.

A couple of years ago I had a chance meeting with a semi-famous guy in the blues world who was House's manager when he was rediscovered during the early 60s folk revival. He told me a great story:

The Rolling Stones were on TV (Shindig?) in 64 or 65. They refused to play unless Howlin' Wolf was also on the bill. My acquaintance heard that Wolf was filming the show in New York and took House to the studio. It was the first time Wolf and House had seen each other in many (20?) years. They embraced and entered into a long talk about old times. One of the Stones noticed the two talking and asked someone about the old guy talking to Wolf. He was told it was Son House. The Stone's eyes grew wide and he said "Wow, man, that's the guy who taught Robert Johnson to play the guitar."

At this point, the storyteller turned to me and said: "And do you know which Stone it was?" He was somewhat surprised when I said "Brian." He looked at me a little more closely and said "Nobody gets that right. You know your stuff." I don't mean to brag by repeating this, but this guy is someone for whom I have tremendous respect and I admit that made my day. :)

Spike

thanks for the great story Spike

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online