Smashing Pumpkins - Teargarden by Kaleidyscope (2009)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Smashing Pumpkins-Teargarden By Kaleidoscope
l_7c9d29138b484a13b5e1c9816c446dc1.png

The new work by the Smashing Pumpkins, Teargarden By Kaleidoscope, is an interesting process where lead singer/songwriter Billy Corgan is melding the marketing of music by giving fans the option to choose between it in it's physical form and digital form. Over the course of roughly three years Billy will release a total of 44 tracks to the masses one track at a time. As each track is released it will be available to download for free. Those who want their music in it's physical form will have two options. They are to buy the music in clusters as they are released on individual EPs or to wait patiently for the whole shebang to be released on box set! Here's an MTV article discussing the project and the philosophy behind it http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1627767/20091207/corgan_billy.jhtml As of announcing this project this project was not a finished project. Just a lot of song ideas in Corgans head that he was more than confident would be able to be completed for the project. On the official website http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/ is where viewers can download each song and read daily updates as Billy is creating the soon to be available work. I think this is an awesome process. As a review, I will embed each song that comes out and give my thoughts, hence there will be constant updates here as well! Stay tuned as this project sounds very intriguing! :grinthumb

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Smashing Pumpkins-Teargarden by Kaleidyscope

The first song to be released is called Song For A Son. Billy Corgan calls it a "folk" song. After hearing it, it's definitely an electric folk song! A funny note, is that Billy said he sucks at playing harmonica and he put in some big guitars to cover up for that! :heheh: This is a song that was played in concert last year so even though many fans have heard it it's been heavily modified since then!

Song For A Son

Original Live Version

Studio Version

Lyrics

This is a song for a son
This is a song for a sailor
The son I never had
This is a song for a kid
This is the song for a tailor
Who stitched up my old heart

This is a song for dove
This is a song for a blown up bird
The kind that don�t return to the nest
This is a song for a star
This is a song for a space invader
Who flew into the sun
Never to return
Never to return

And I am one of many, many more to come, many more to come
And I am one of many more, many more to come, many more to come

This is a song for a son
This is a song for a sailor
The best I ever had
He sailed without map
This is a song for a kid
This is the song for a tailor
Before I broke it all apart

And I am one of many, many more to come, many more to come
And I am one of many more, many more to come, many more to come

You daughters of the revolution
Carry back your sons
Carry them back home
You daughters of the revolution
Carry back your sons
Carry them back home

And I am one of many, many more to come

I love the piano in the studio version and I think that Billy really worked this into a real solid opener for what should be a great project!

Oblivion

Reaction score

OMG totally missed this thread :) I love it !

Edit: I heard song for son live a few months ago !

Last edited:

Tiny Tim

Reaction score

Like the song, but what is the Smashing Pumpkins now? Drummer Jimmy Chamberlin left the band last year, so is there a band or is Smashing Pumpkins just the label for Billy's solo work now?

Oblivion

Reaction score

Billy Corgan announced his intention to continue to write and record under the Smashing Pumpkins name, with plans to head into the studio. And those plans became real and are to be followed in this thread :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Like the song, but what is the Smashing Pumpkins now? Drummer Jimmy Chamberlin left the band last year, so is there a band or is Smashing Pumpkins just the label for Billy's solo work now?

The authenticity of whether this is truly the work of The Smashing Pumpkins is subjective as to what people think makes a band. Personally, while all the musicians in a band play a great part of what a band is I think as long as you have the principle songwriter still involved it still deserves to be considered the same. Look at people like Trent Reznor who use a band name (NIN) and even though hew uses a band the members besides him are interchangeable as he does the songwriting and actual creative process. That's how I feel about SP! Billy has always wrote the vast majority of the material and been the main drivere behind the groups creative direction. I'm just as excited about this Smashing Pumpkins as I ever have been! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

O.K., so I honestly must be even more excited about this music project than I thought because upon clicking onto myspace and seeing the banner for the "New Smashing Pumpkins song download" I squealed giddily like a little girl! I fumbled clicking and scrolling to find out where to click to get it! I finally got it and played it. At first listen it was a complete turnaround from the first song Song For A Son! Corgan was in Zwan mode for this song! O.K. I'm with most people that the Zwan band wasn't Billy's greatest project but it was by no means bad! This song was even poppier and sunnier if you can believe it! Billy's always had a heart for pop though! Now halfway through the song I felt that this was the inferior of the two songs released but the cool use of organs picked this song up for me! Pretty cool! I love the change starting at 1:52! :grinthumb Here's the song and lyrics for your own listener discretion!

Widow Make My Mind

Studio Version

A note on this live version! As a tribute to a musician I admittedly know nothing about, The Seed's Sky Jackson, Billy performed this song as part of a string of shows under the name Spirits in the Sky rather than the Pumpkins! Members playing live in the Spirit in the Sky ensemble were new Smashing Pumpkins drummer 19 year old Mike Byrne, Mark Tulin (Electric Prunes), Mark Weitz (Strawberry Alarm Clock), Kerry Brown (Catherine)! Other artist who contributed are Dave Navarro, pop artist Linda Strawberry, Songwriter Kevin Dipold and Violinist Ysanne Spevack! Billy had projects going on with the singer prior to his death!

Live Pre-released version
(Wow! This song does a lot for the crowd and Billy! He seems so happy performing it!)

Oh......Oh..Oh.....Oh......Oh...Oh...Oh..Oh (x3)

Oh......Oh..Oh.....Oh......Oh...Oh............

Widow wake my mind, widow wake my mind

Widow wake my mind, widow wake my mind..........

I'm looking for a love, a love that shiiiiiines

It shiiiiiines, a love that shines........

It's all miiiiiine, it's all miiiiiiiine. A love that's mine..........

Oh......Oh..Oh.....Oh......Oh...Oh...Oh..Oh

Oh......Oh..Oh.....Oh......Oh...Oh............

Widow wake my mind, widow wake my mind

Are you real this time? Widow wake my mind..........

I'm looking for a love, that I can fiiiiiiiind

It's gonna be miiiiiiiine, a love that's mine..........

Shiiiine, yes we'll shiiiiiine, our love will shine........................

Accept the grace of the moment you are in

Accept the chase of where we must begin

Cos when you crawl, you crawl into my heart

And when you fall, you fall into my arms

Shiiiiine, yes we'll shiiiiiiine, our love will shine.........

Miiiiiiine, it's all miiiiiiiine, our love will shine.........

Oh......Oh..Oh.....Oh......Oh...Oh...Oh..Oh

Oh......Oh..Oh.....Oh......Oh...Oh...........................

I'm looking for a love,

a love called mine

Shine, we'll shine....Widow wake my mind

Shine, we'll shine....Widow wake my mind

Shine, we'll shine....We'll shiiiiiiiine

Shine, we'll shine....We'll shine, widow wake make my mind

Shine, we'll shine....We'll shine, widow wake make my mind

Shine, we'll shine....We'll shiiiiiiiiiiiiiine, widow wake make my mind

Last edited:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Great thread, I really love the Smashing Pumpkins and totally missed this thread (doh!) I will be listening to all the tracks as they come out and will deffo buy the whole thing when it is released. Long live the Pumpkins, I have seen them loads of times and the last time I was not going to stay as I was at a festival and I had seen them but they were that good I had to:)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

I missed this thread too!

Wow didn't know about this - top stuff :woho: As Sweaty said "Long Live The Pumkins" :ro:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Belated thanks for the comments/compliments guys! So, I've really slacked on this thread so in my update I have two new song this time! :heheh: The first song Stitch In Time is a fun 60's vibed retro song called A Stitch In Time. I read more than one person compare it to a Fleetwood Mac style but I don't hear it. Maybe one of the posters here will be able to confirm or deny that. I hear more of an Indian influence. Any here's the track:

A Stitch In Time

A Stitch In Time Live
(I like the quality of the instrumentation better in this live version)

It's just a stitch in time
It's perfect, I don't mind
Sailing on your endless sea
You're perfect, I don't mind
I've got your stitch in mine
Everywhere I wanna be

Don't say you want too much
They'll say you've had enough
Don't let them lay their trips on you

There's somewhere I just gotta be...
You're everywhere at once, and you can't break free...
You're everywhere at once, and you can't catch me, watch out
There's somewhere I just gotta be

It's just a stitch in time
We fit together fine
A puzzle looking for its piece
You're perfect, I don't mind
Your travel makes you mine
Everywhere I look I see

Don't say you want too much
They'll say you've had enough
Don't let them lay their trips on you

You're everywhere at once, and you can't break free...
You're everywhere at once, and you can't catch me, watch out

The second song is the most aggressive rockish song yet. All the songs have had a poppy, acoustic vibe so far so it was a breath of fresh air to hear, Astral Planes! I would say this song would've been perfect for either the 33 Disc on the Aeroplane Flies High Box Set or on Machina. Not meant to be a lyrical song by any means but still a great spacy vibed anthemic chanting rock song! :grinthumb

Astral Planes

Astral Planes Live

I don't know why I'm bothering with the lyrics! :oyea:

Everyone gather up your soul x8

Everyone! Everyone! Everyone!

YEAH!

Far away light Far away light
Far away, far away light

Far away light Far away light
Far away, far away light

Everyone gather up your soul x4

YEAH!