Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Christ Illusion

slayer4.jpg

Slayer-Christ-Illusion-front_cover.jpg

Band Slayer
Genre Thrash Metal
Release Date August 8, 2006

This is the reunion of the original Slayer lineup and is the first time that they were in the studio together since 1990's Seasons in the Abyss. With drummer Dave Lombardo retaking the drum chair he places the band back on the edge and helps push them to a new level unlike anything they have done before. They have stubbornly refused to sound like anyone but themselves and they continue on this record with the "Slayer Sound". Christ Illusion is a raging record that melds forward thinking metal with hardcore thrash and this is what has made them such a breath of fresh air in the thrash genre. They rip through these ten songs while doing so with lightning changes, off-kilter rhythms, and riff invention, together with plodding crescendos, insane guitar breaks, and dark, unrelentingly twisted-as-**** lyrics that reflect a singular intensity. The main themes on thsi album center on the myth of religion and its responsibility for war.

Now there were three songs that stood out the most, "Eyes of the Insane," which tells the story in the first person from the point of view of a soldier who is suffering the effects of PTSD. Another is "Jihad," which tells of a "holy war" from a Jihadist's point of view. One of the others is "Cult." with the lyrics "Oppression is the holy war/In God I distrust...Is war and greed the Master's plan? The Bible's where it all began/Its propaganda sells despair/And spreads the virus everywhere/Religion Is hate/Religion Is fear/Religion is war...." you can only guess what the song is about.
Musically, they are in a league of their own. Christ Illusion creates an interesting dilemma for people of faith who like heavy metal. Their on stance on this album is anti-war and how faith in a god is responsible for it. Given the hardcore style vocals, the listener cannot simply listen to the voice as another instrument. You have to deal with the music and the lyrics this time. Christ Illusion is an antiwar record that asks people to think for themselves. It is brilliant thrash metal at its best. Lyrically, it may offend people, but getting the listener to think and make choices is what this music is all about. An anti-Christian/anti-Islam/anti-theocratic, antiwar album.
One of the best Slayer albums along with Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven, Seasons Of The Abyss, and Hell Awaits.

Videos & Music

joe

Reaction score
Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion

I would agree with you that it is their best release since Seasons in the Abyss. World Painted Blood didn't quite match up to it. Slayer is immortal. Long live evil!

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I agree with that assessment as well. I like World Painted Blood and I would put it at second best since Seasons but Christ Illusion is just awesome and almost up to par with classic Slayer IMO.

Harkat

Reaction score

It boggles me that people could support something negative and evil :wtf:

[edit] Im not saying Slayer is bad. Final Six is my fav song of theirs atm [/edit]

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

It boggles me that people could support something negative and evil :wtf:

[edit] Im not saying Slayer is bad. Final Six is my fav song of theirs atm [/edit]

So you are boggled by your own support of Slayer then or is it just somehow different when others support Slayer then when you yourself do !?!?!? :wtf:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I never looked at Slayer as evil or satanic but rather singing about real issues and real anger and using evil or satanism as an analogy.

Oh...great review btw...Slayer fan here!!! :grinthumb

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I would say someone is taking Joe's little comment far too seriously .

I mean Slayer says things far more controversial then "Long live evil' in their songs .Obsessions with ******, Satanism, Serial Killers and just plain murder itself..... I would think that anyone open minded enough to listen to Slayer without taking everything they talk about as an endorsement of the acts themselves should be able to understand that "Long live evil' stated after a review be taken in the same light .Obviously not an actual endorsement of EVIL but the musical evil that is SLAYER .

And yeah, nice review :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online