Skyclad (Official Thread)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
A mixture of heavy metal, thrash metal, and folk metal. Skyclad is a band that has actually been in my library for quite a while, but I rarely ever listen to them. I've got to be in the mood for something a tad different to really enjoy their sound. Even if they do sound like a traditional folk metal band, it's still something that's enjoyable when the moment strikes.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: Skyclad: Folk/Thrash

Crikey....I am pleasantly surprised to see them still going strong. I remember them with former vocalist Martin Walkyier. He had fallen out with previous band SABBAT [:bow:] to form SKYCLAD. There were probably many in the "thrash" scene who thought hed lost it .Folk/thrash ? .....in the 90s didnt get the credit they deserved..Nowadays,.I think people are more open minded to this crossover metal :grinthumb Looking back Walkyier and co were real pioneers in this genre.....inspiring lots of German and Scandanavian bands that are around today

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I was classifying it as folk thrash, but would more specifically class them as a heavy metal band with some thrash and folk influences. I was a bit unaware how long they'd been around until I looked up the albums for the thread itself. The Answer Machine? is the only album i've heard fully from them, but i've listened to a few songs from the others to get a feel for the rest of their discography. I have all the time in the world to get them all though :)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I have Wayward Sons of Mother Earth ,A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol ,Jonah's Ark ,Prince of the Poverty Line and The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea.
I lost interest in them after that due to their dramatic change in style .

I should remedy that however as I think I would probably be a bit more open to the newer stuff these days.

Martin Walkyier is a very intelligent guy and I really find his lyrical stylings very interesting.

Last edited:

muzik_guy

Certified Music Geek
Reaction score

Love this band! Never was a big Sabbat fan, but Walkyier's lyrics are profoundly intelligent & poetic. The band, IMO, is dead without him. "Jonah's Ark" & "The Answer Machine?" are standouts.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online