Skunk anansie !

Oblivion

Reaction score
Skunk anansie!
Skunk%20Anansie.jpg

Skunk Anansie formed in March 1994, disbanded in 2001 and reformed in 2009. Their singer is 'skin' (Deborah Dyer). She tried to go solo in between '94 and '01 but that didn't work out as planned...
They have three studio albums (Paranoid and Sunburnt, Stoosh, Post ******** Chill) and fourteen singles.

In 1995, Skunk Anansie released their debut album Paranoid and Sunburnt on the One Little Indian record label. It was recorded with Robbie France on drums,[4] who left before the album was released. Mark Richardson replaced France. The album peaked at #8 on the UK albums chart and was certified platinum in their native United Kingdom with a gold certification in the Netherlands; the band also won the Kerrang! Award for "Best British Band" in that same year.[5] Paranoid and Sunburnt spawned two top 20 singles in the United Kingdom: "Weak" and a re-issue of "Charity", which had previously made the top 40.

In 1996, Skunk Anansie released Stoosh, which was certified gold in several European countries, with a platinum certification in Italy and became their second UK album to be certified platinum, while peaking at #9 on the UK album charts. Stoosh spawned their highest-charting singles, which included "Hedonism (Just Because You Feel Good)", which reached the top 20 in various European countries. "Brazen (Weep)" from the same album became their highest-charting UK single peaking at #11. European sales for the album including the UK totaled two million.

Skunk Anansie released Post ******** Chill on Virgin in 1999. The album was certified platinum by the IFPI for selling over one million units in Europe and the UK.

Recently they released a compilation album called "Smashes and Trashes" with 3 new songs on it and a bunch of their better singles.
I'd advise this album to start with because all their albums have bad and good songs, aside from this one... :heheh:

Last edited:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I remember these, what a great voice Skin has, I saw them live in Bristol at a free festival and met them back stage, she had a cold at the time and was coughing and sneezing but still belted out the tunes, what a lovely person too, so quiet and shy (well sh appeared to be).

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Yes Skin has an amazing voice and so powerful! I have two of their albums, Paranoid and Sunburnt and Stoosh. The brilliant 'Weak' piqued my interest when I first heard it way back in the mid nineties sometime.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
I've heard a little of their material in the past after they were recommended to me by a real sweetheart I used to work with. He was the type that was definitely in the wrong skin; in times of wistful regret he'd say things like, "What's a girl to do?"

:heheh: He was totally awesome. And was correct in the assessment that Skunk Anansie definitely kicks ass. Skin is gorgeous and her voice is something to be envied. I don't usually go for 90s music (eh, meh ..) but this band is a good choice.

Oblivion

Reaction score
:) Ah finally some love for this topic!

I enjoy Skunk anansie from time to time... Just plain simple and good music :)

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score
More Skunk Anansie love here :D

I've only heard their first two albums and loved them both, and also a bit of her solo stuff; while not too bad, I much prefer Skunk Anansie. And Skin has an amazing voice, really powerful :)

Oblivion

Reaction score
She's also great live I hear... Anyone seen her live by any chance??

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
I couldn't stand her voice at first, then I had to re-rate....very cool lady indeed:)

Iggy

Coal mining ruffian
Reaction score
She's also great live I hear... Anyone seen her live by any chance??

Saw them in Cardiff when they first arrived on the scene, University hall,
intimate sort of place, dark and sweaty, full house. Excellent.
She had a good rapport with the crowd. Squeaky high pitched little speaking voice though,
but when she sings ......... :bow:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online