Sir John Tavener...1944-2013

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I am extremely sad to hear today that the great British composer John Tavener has just died at the age of 69.

He would certainly, by many classical/choral music lovers, have been considered to be one of the, if not the, greatest living classical composer, particularly for his very beautiful, mystical, hypnotic settings of religious works.

I actually met him once at a reception following a performance of one of his works, my wife - when we lived in Washington D.C. - she played for many years in the National Symphony Orchestra, and they gave a performance at the Kennedy Center in D.C. of his work ‘The Protecting Veil’ for cello and strings, in I suppose it was around 1993/1994, and with the great Russian cellist Mstislav Rostropovich playing the cello (who at the time was also the Music Director of the NSO) and John Tavener was present for the performance, and we attended a supper/reception after the concert and I met him and spoke to him for a few minutes – I especially recall that he must have been about 6’7” and easily one of the tallest people I have ever met.

So, a truly huge loss for the classical music world, he will be very greatly mourned and missed, but his legacy will live on in the form of some extremely moving and inspiring works which will be performed for many years to come….perhaps his most famous and beautiful work being ‘Song for Athene’ - most famously performed at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, with it’s setting of the ancient text “May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest…Remember me, O Lord, when you come into your kingdom” and with its chilling crescendo climax. If you do appreciate classical/choral music, then spend just about 15 minutes listening here and take it in, IMO it’s just some of the most haunting and mesmerising stuff composed in the modern era....Rest in Peace John Tavener...

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
One thing I didn't realise about him until yesterday was that Sir John made his name with the oratorio 'The Whale'.... which was released by The Beatles on their Apple label in 1968.

518855b.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online