Singers that sound like Paul Rodgers

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I was tempted to add Gary Stringer (Reef) and Chris Robinson (Black Crowes), but I am not sure if these are influenced by, rather than sounding like, Paul Rodgers.

opera races

Reaction score
I know I'm coming to the party a bit late and am not really adding anything new but I found this thread on a search for someone else entirely, thought that was funny, and decided to put in my .02:

With the latest issue of Classic Rock magazine that I received in my snail mail there was a Joe Bonamassa CD. While I wouldn't have come up with the thought entirely on my own now that I've seen this thread I do agree that Joe Bonamassa sounds a bit like Paul Rodgers at times and not in a bad way either!

I can kind of see Danny Bowes on the list too. When I got Backstreet Symphony about 7 or 8 years ago on CD and heard Bowes singing for the first time I felt like he sort of reminded me of someone else but couldn't quite place who ...

David Coverdale I couldn't ever quite get why a certain number of people kept writing him off as a copy of or sounding like or being a second rate or ersatz ... whoever ... I think David Coverdale is his own man too!

I've always liked Bad Company ... and Free too ... but I didn't know until relatively recently how much of an influence he is or how well admired he is by other singers. A few years ago ... or maybe it was some years ago at this point I was reading an interview with Roger Taylor of Queen and he mentioned that Paul Rodgers was a favorite singer of Freddie's ... which makes certain things that happened surrounding Queen make some sense ... though not some others and I'll leave it at that!

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
That's a hard one since Paul has such a unique voice.. I don't think Brian Howe sounds much like him though.. :confused:
Off hand I can't think of a single person..
I saw Brian Howe fronting Bad Co in like 1990 or 91 and between that and the studio stuff he did with them, I agree... he doesn't sound anything like Rodgers.

Peacheater

Reaction score
Looking for a singer on line, led me here. You guys know how that happens, thats how we find so much great music! Anyway...I don't believe Goran Edman was mentioned here. Not always sounding like Paul, but hear for yourself on this great one from the awesome Brazen Abbot. It has my main man Glenn on the disc, thats how I originally found it. A lot of great albums from BA :cheers2

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Looking for a singer on line, led me here. You guys know how that happens, thats how we find so much great music! Anyway...I don't believe Goran Edman was mentioned here. Not always sounding like Paul, but hear for yourself on this great one from the awesome Brazen Abbot. It has my main man Glenn on the disc, thats how I originally found it. A lot of great albums from BA :cheers2

Thanks for posting. I had never heard Brazen Abbot, but this definitely sounds like Paul Rodgers. I'll have to look into them. I see Joe Lynn Turner is involved, as well as Glenn Hughes.

WetWilly

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
Reaction score
Robert Hart I know has already been mentioned, also I've thought Paul Carrack sounds like Rodgers a little bit on a couple of tunes.

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score

Edman's an interesting one; to these ears (albeit that's based only upon 2 or 3 albums worth of material, I know he has quite a large discography) he sounds very much like a cross between Glenn Hughes and John Waite (I know both of whom are very Rodgers influenced). I can't think of many singers who do the AOR-pop stuff better, but he's always struck me as sounding a tad awkward (Too light, maybe?) on the heavier songs.

A few more to add to the Rodgers list, anyway!

Eric Martin (Another one heavily influenced by Rodgers)

Paul "Duke Fame" Shortino

Sammy Hagar, particularly in his earlier years

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online