Sigur Ros (Official Thread)

newdawnfades

Reaction score

sigur_ros_logo.gif

Sigur Ros Official Website

Official Discography:
Von (1997), Ágætis byrjun (1999), ( ) (2002), Takk... (2005), Hvarf/Heim (2007), Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (2008), Valtari (2012) & Kveikur (2013)
41aI3j7SRfL._SL500_AA300_.jpgsigur_ros-agaetis_byrjun.png.jpg
Sigur_Ros_-_(_).jpg
sigur-ros-takk.jpg

sigur-ros-lp.jpgB0+su%C3%B0+%C3%AD+eyrum+vi%C3%B0+spilum+endalaust.jpg
sigur-ros-valtari.jpg
Sigur-Ros-Kveikur-2.jpg[

I have really been digging this Icelandic band for the past few months. Their music is an ambient, emotional sound and they sing in their native tongue on the songs. They will be coming to Seattle in a month or two and I scored some tickets. I heard that their live show is incredible, often compared to a Pink Floyd show as far as the experience of the music.

Anybody else like Sigur Ros?

sigur_ros_4406.jpg

M

Last edited by a moderator:

Oblivion

Reaction score
Re: Sigur Ros

:) Bumping sigur ros !

Glósóli .

Volume to the max and sit back, relax...

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I love these guys! My favorite will always be the track that introduced me to them!

"Saeglopur"
(such an epic beautiful and strange song all at the same time)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I was introduced to Sigur Ros 2 years ago. At first, I didn't really like the music. I thought the chanting vocals ruined the music, but now that I have had time to really listen to it, the vocals fit the music. Sigur Ros is an acquired taste in music; ambient, minimalistic, soothing, and you have to be in the right melancholy mood for it.

It is amazing to watch Jónsi Birgisson play the guitar with a bow. Very gifted individual.

frontcover-usa1.jpg

() released in 2002 is my favorite.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Have to be in a certain mood to play their music, but I really enjoyed the DVD of their live show in the home town in Iceland, very unique band who everyone should check out at least once.

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score

Indeed, "Heima" is a wonderful movie filled, not only with the ethereal music of Sigur Ros, but also some of the most beautiful landscapes as you're likely to find on this planet. Iceland is an awesome place. The DVD contains a second disc that features 2 hours of live performance video. All in all, a great introduction to a band whose artistry is practically unparalleled in modern music. IMHO.

The people I've known who didn't like Sigur Ros were put off by Jonsi's voice, with it's femininity and incredibly high reaching falsetto. I don't know that it's so much an acquired taste...but it's definitely central to what they do. Seems like a "love 'em or hate 'em" thing with my friends who don't like them. Those who do enjoy Sigur Ros tend to be fanatical about them. I know I am.

That Glosoli video Oblivion posted is bad ass. First off, the song is my favorite. But even if you don't care for the music it's worth watching just to see how it turns out at the end.

I've seen them twice...once in 2002 touring the "()" album and then again June of 08 promoting "We Sing Endlessly...". Both shows made it to the top of my "Best Concerts I've Ever Seen" list.

The band are on "indefinite hiatus" at the moment, as three of the four members have very young children (drummer Orri only recently became a father). Jonsi carries the flame for now, and is doing quite an awesome job of it, but I really, really hope that "indefinite hiatus" does not translate into "broke up", as it so often has with prominent bands.

rijgiseure.jpg
^^^^^
This photo is from the show I saw at the Uptown Theater in Kansas City, Missouri. June 12, 2008, it was, and the weather was nasty. In fact, there was a tornado in the immediate vicinity of the music hall right in the middle of the concert. The people in charge came very close to stopping the show because of it, but I guess they decided the theater was solid enough to be an adequate shelter. My wife stayed at the hotel, and the management there made everyone go down to the basement...that's how serious it was. We didn't have a clue.

And here are a couple of videos from that show I just found on YouTube. Didn't even know they were there...I was going to post a video I've seen of two of the guys standing outside the door of the Uptown checking out the storm clouds after the show...then I stumbled upon several live clips from that night, so I decided to share them instead...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Great post Jackory...you are right about a polarizing effect. People either get them or not, I had to have an old friend explain their "Singing" to me before I understood what was going on. Orangerocker was indispensable for getting me to give them a chance, and I owe him for that.

I think they will be okay, the urge to play is like a disease for most musicians, once the family business is settled they should be back in full force.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

Sure throw them in some other section so I can't find them. :wa

I'm a fan got all their albums and just picked up Jonsi's solo album which is good too. Love their lush sound with Jonsi's falsetto vocals.

what you thought Ak didn't have his own pictures :)
Seen them a number of times over the years including this show at the Modern Museum of Art, NYC with Olafur Eliasson artwork on display
2590098778_76f17f1fb8.jpg

2589260909_269d177baa.jpg

And a few months later
2868944645_652cc3560a.jpg

2868943435_bb7ae0bcce.jpg

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Some of my personal favorites, not too sure why, but I seem to enjoy the Takk album a lot more than any of their other releases. It just has so much emotion:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online