Scarred For Life

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I wasn't sure to put this here or in the Off Topic Abyss forum.

But, seeing how it does involve music, I chose here.

I'm supposing everyone here is, if not a life long music lover, they're at least a long time music fan.

Here's the topic:

What music do you know and love (or at least really like) simply because that's what your folks listened to and what you were first exposed to?

Something you've been scarred with that, if not for your folks, you might never have listened to.

For me, I have more Motown than any middle aged white suburbanite should own.

I also own 4-5 John Denver cds and know most of Roger Miller's stuff.

Anyone else been scarred?

BTW, being scarred isn't always a bad thing.

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
Neither of my parents listened to music on a consistent basis.. My mother listenes to Toto and Carpenters when she goes for long drives... my father abstains from recreational music because of his busy life, and my sister listens to anything everything else listens to. Screamo, Pop, skrillex, Dubstep, etc. shes a sheep with no real music taste aside from knowing what a beat is. I guess the Carpenters opened me up to soft rock with melodic chords and oversensualized lyrics about love an what you should be/do to feel it, which led me to beatles, then led zep, then def lep and scorpions and such, eventually to late 80s mudhoney / mother love bone / temple of the dog / meat puppets and then 90s grunge I listen to today. My mother unknowingly turned me on to a band that would lead me on a 3-4 decade long thirst for music :) (sorry that ran so long, just had coffee and a smoke, quite the rush)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Interesting thread idea Vehicle.

Scarred for life...it's hard to say if I suffered "permanent" damage growing up, my Mom loved music. When I was 3 years old she was playing Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Peggy Lee, Count Basie, Duke Ellington and Nat King Cole among others.

She is the reason I got into music in the first place a bond we shared for many years.

I do have a Tom Jones CD, Frank Sinatra CD, Dean Martin CD but no Elvis at all, I never really liked him that much.

So more like a superficial paper cut than scarred for me Vehicle.:heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
My parents are range from way too finicky and really not huge music fans (my Dad) to listening and being content with top 40 (my Mom) so I'm surprised I ended up as obsessed with music as I was. I did however grow up with the love of Country Rock Harmony groups like Alabama and Restless Heart as well as Daryl Hall and Jon Oates. Those were the main influences. My Dad was a huge CCR fan and got me started on them but I think I still would've been a huge fan albeit maybe a little later down the road. :)

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
My Dad is a metal fan as well as a great blues lover so I have been scarred/branded for life with a love for blues - not so much metal. My love of Motown and soul is a scar I have inherited from Mum as well as her great fondness for blues rock :D

Khor1255

Reaction score
Yeah, lots and lots of things I almost certainly wouldn't have listened to at least until a few years or maybe decades after I did. My dad had a very diverse collection of music including early jazz, blues, classical and quite a bit of 50s through early 70s popish stuff. My mom liked a lot of what was on the radio top 40 stations (still does) and when I was growing up although my favorite stuff was hard rock and classical I was exposed to a lot of stuff I really liked but wasn't ready to admit yet.

I remember The Beatles, Elton John, Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, Tchaicovsky, Hank Williams etc etc all playing when I could give a damn and now I go out of my way to listen to this stuff.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I still would've been a huge fan albeit maybe a little later down the road. :)

I feel the same way about Motown.

I forgot to add a something funny in the OP. My Mom always said the song Sh-Boom was the last good song ever written. Hehehe.

She never said which version, though.

The Crew Cuts

Or the Chords

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
My grandad bought the Johnny Cash Sun Collection when I was about 11 or 12 and I was hooked from the first track, Ballad of a Teenage Queen. I remember just before he died, he said he liked Bohemian Rhapsody, so I think my taste came from him.

My dad liked unpretentious music like Guy Mitchell, Nat King Cole, Dave Edmunds and Rod Stewart, which I still enjoy. My mum had a mixed taste from the Moody Blues (which of course I love) to Abba.

I think most of my taste came from a friend's older brother who got me started with ELP, Nektar, Patto, Utopia, Groundhogs, Budgie, etc.

I was probably 'scarred' by my grandparents and parents buying novelty records, when my sister and I were young children, like those by Bennie Hill, Rolf Harris, Val Doonican and George Formby. I know it's mad, but I still really like them (hence my novelty records thread).

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Nice subject matter, being the youngest of four youths..... I was raised on prog, heavy and rock. My Dad was a jazz & classical freak and Django and Gerry Mulligan shoehorned in nicely with the Marshall Tucker Band and Budgie. Scarred from school mainly... I avoided a lot of soul music, the girls with their steel Combs and juicy fruit, stacked basket weave shoes... put me right off... Disco and funk i really dug. Took me years to shake off those Motown memories...sad that I missed out on a cracker like this... especially at the school hops..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online