Saxon (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
saxon.jpg

Saxon Official Website

Although this band never quite achieved the level of success commercially and the respect of Priest and Maiden, they are the 3rd most important band from the NWOBHM. They have a huge discography, and I would have to say the last two albums they recorded are equal or better than anything Maiden or Priest has released in a while. But I am getting ahead of myself, I usually like to start at the beginning, for Saxon they formed in 1977, but the only constant members of the band are vocalist Bill Byford and guitarist Paul Quinn.

They recorded their debut in 1979, simply titled "Saxon", but it's not one of their best albums, it gives you an idea about the bands sound and power but I don't think you need to get it unless you are a completionist.

Albums

Saxon (1979)
Wheels of Steel (1980)
Strong Arm of the Law (1980)
Denim and Leather (1981)
Power & the Glory (1983)
Crusader (1984)
Innocence Is No Excuse (1985)
Rock the Nations (1986)
Destiny (1988)
Solid Ball of Rock (1991)
Forever Free (1992)
Dogs of War (1995)
Unleash the Beast (1997)
Metalhead (1999)
Killing Ground (2001)
Lionheart (2004)
The Inner Sanctum (2007)
Into the Labyrinth (2009)[5][6]
Call to Arms (2011)
Sacrifice (2013)

I will suggest you start with "Strong Arm of the Law", their 2nd album recorded in 1980, and remains one of the best they ever did.

My Saxon Collection.

Every studio album they ever recorded.

Heavy Metal Thunder.

Saxon_Strong_Arm_Of_The_Law-Front-w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Oblivion

Reaction score
Re: Saxon

I've never really listened to much saxon but they certainly have a great shwung :) ! I like Lionheart best :) as a complete album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Although I have all of their official albums, they definitely had peaks and valleys in their long career.

I have to say I was very impressed with Into the Labyrinth (2009), and The Inner Sanctum from 2007, simply kick-ass old fashioned metal the way it should be played.

Lionheart and Dogs of War would be two other CD's that were very good from their later discography.

taha

Reaction score

Saxon, a seriously under rated metal band. I lov'm !
I have :
Saxon
Wheels of Steel
Innocense is no Excuse
Destiny
Rock and Roll Gypsy
Solid Ball of Rock

I NEED to KNOW the next few to get, I've lost track of their stuff

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Check out the two CD's I mentioned Taha, they are both very good, as good as any of their early work.

Front.jpg

SaxonBookletFront.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Saxon's Discography:

1979 - Saxon

1980 - Strong Arm of the Law

1980 - Wheels of Steel

1981 - Denim & Leather

1983 - Power & The Glory

1984 - Crusader

1985 - Innocence Is No Excuse

1986 - Rock The Nations

1988 - Destiny

1991 - Solid Ball Of Rock

1992 - Forever Free

1995 - Dogs Of War

1997 - Unleash The Beast

1999 - Metalhead

2000 - Diamonds & Nuggets

2001 - Killing Ground

2002 - Coming To The Rescue

2002 - Heavy Metal Thunder

2004 - Lionheart

2007 - The Inner Sanctum

2009 - Into The Labyrinth

Live Albums:

1982 - The Eagle Has Landed

1990 - Rock 'n Roll Gypsies

1998 - The Eagle Has Landed II

2006 - The Eagle Has Landed III

2007 - Live at Monsters Of Rock

There are the albums I have Taha, the titles in blue are the albums I think you should add to your collection. There was a period of pretty mediocre material when Saxon made an attempt to broaden their fan base, especially trying to penetrate the American market, but it didn't work and only served to alienate their European fans. After they gave up on that effort and returned to their musical roots they released some really good CD's again.

Hope that helps you out a little.;)

Last edited:

taha

Reaction score

I'll start w/ a few of the early ones and work up, Ebay has some ok deals

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Strong Arm of the Law would be a great place to start Taha.

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score

Strong Arm of the Law would be a great place to start Taha.

I LOVE Power & The Glory. My favorite Saxon album by far. Power and the Glory is my favorite Saxon tune. I got turned on to Saxon at the same time I got introduced to Accept.

Accept doing Princess of the Dawn ...what a flash back!

I really like the Solid Ball of Rock album too, but the vibe to me is not nearly what the P&G is.

I found out about the bigger NWOBHM bands like Maiden, Saxon, Accept and such from a dear friend that now lives out in Arizona. He was stationed in Germany in the army. Those bands played there constantly. He's got all kinds of photos with him and the guys from a bunch of those group drinking and carrying on in the bars. He has an army jacket that is signed by just about every big name NWOBHM band member that was playing that circuit. The little clubs over there that he described were cool. Check this out. I remember Brad telling me that it was not uncommon for the people over there to sit through tunes and stand up and clap when the song ended!

He sent me cassette tapes from there back in the early 80s that I used to walk around at night listening to on a walk man cassette player. just rocking out hard to all them great Saxon tunes like Denim and Leather, 20,000 feet, The Eagle Has Landed (what a BAD ASS tune that is!)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online