Dark Medieval Times (1994)
The Shadowthrone (1994)
Nemesis Divina (1996)
Rebel Extravaganza (1999)
Volcano (2002)
Now, Diabolical (2006)
The Age of Nero (2008)
Satyricon (2013)

SATYRICON are a 1st class Norwegian black metal band . Formed 1990. Lead singer/guitarist " Satyr" took over vocal duties 91. SATYRICONs drummer"Frost" joined in 92.He had previously been in other black metal bands GORGOROTH and GEHENNA.
The bands debut album "Dark medieval times" showed off the bands fascination with the middle ages and even the flute was used as an instrument.
By 2000 the band had released their 4th album and had supported PANTERA. In 2006 SATYRICON released the excellent heavy album "Now,Diabolical":grinthumb which was contraversial amongst black metal fans due to its somewhat " radio friendly" take on black metal. No!!! they havent sold out.......theyve just become really good!!!
In 2008 they released their 7th album "The age of Nero"........things are really happening for this band.

Attachments

• 108134.jpg
    108134.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 80
  • iSAT 2.jpg
    iSAT 2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 80
  • SATYRICON.jpg
    SATYRICON.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Cinder

Reaction score
Re: Satyricon

Satyricon! Another band that havent heard of, I enjoyed the clips you have posted Lou not normally my cup of tea but these two tracks werent too bad.

I think the lead singer Sigurd Wongraven is very similar looking to Pete Steele of O Negative, it must be a Scandinavian thing lol.

Spot the difference :D

Last edited:

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score

I'd take both of them :D

I can't believe that I've never actually listened to this band before, but am waiting on some albums from them at the moment. They have been criticised on metal forums for supposedly selling out, but I prefer to make up my own mind :)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Pixel, you do right to make your own mind up about this band. It annoys me when certain people say bands have "sold out ".......sometimes its due to a band like SATYRICON signing to a major label.....like their jealous or something. The same happened to CRADLE OF FILTH in their day. SATYRICON are still "heavy" its not like they have cut their hair and gone commercial pop/hiphop lol
It also doesnt bother me that its taken their 6th album for me to finally get into this band.....they rock!!.....love those heavy riffs....:bow:
Cinder......your man is looking more like Lou Reed/Andrew Eldritch in this vid :D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I am not familiar with this band, either, although I have seen banter about them on other forums....some negative some postitive.

I have listened to a few of the videos, and I can honestly say that Satyr's growling vocals are at least understandable. Usually when there are growling and screaming which is not understandable, I avoid the band.

I will definitely check into Satyricon a bit more.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I tried listening to this band a few months ago, but they are Too dark for me LOU. The music I can get into, but not the vocals.

Like the name and the Ramshead insignia though, they look great.

Cinder

Reaction score

Pmpl Lou, youre right he does look Eldrich in that Vid and a little like Lou Reed in some clips I guess :D

Andrew Eldrich way better though when he was into the gothic look.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Im in total agreement here with LG and Magic . Black metal it seems from us outsiders musically can be at times complex but can have impressive instrumentation and structure. I think we are back to the "black metalvocal style"debate that some of the bands can be either annoying or just totally unplayable! Was it you LG who coined the phrase "cookie monster"?? :heheh:
In my opinion SATYRICON stand high above their opponents...their guitars arent a total blur of noise...there are some heavy hooklines there
Lead singer Satyr had his hair cut shorter. In interviews himself and drummer Frost come across as cheery nice genuine people.[ Are black metallers typecasted as moody evil church burners ?....thought ]
The album "new diabolical" reached number 2 in the Norwegian album charts....impressive
This success has brought more high tech videos.....they appear to have left the cliched black metal facepaint behind.....
if SATYRICON have sold out....bring it on !!!

Hmmm heres a reminder of their earlier recorded material......what do you think?

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Can't claim that "Cookie Monster" vocals are my invention LOU, but they do sound like that to me.:D

I don't really dig too deeply into this Realm of metal, because they do represent a very dark and gloomy point of view through their music. An old friend of mine "ExtremeMetalFan" told me about Satyricon over a year ago, so I found one of their albums and listened to it all the way through. I like the music it is very good, but I just don't like the vocals. I can handle some growling and screaming, but not when it is the constant instead of the variation.

Still nice thread you have written here.:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online