Santana Duet

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I could not find the Santana thread so I created one for this duet with two of the most fluid guitarists together: Carlos Santana and George Benson on Breezin' (1976). Just watch Santana's fingers at around the two-and-a-half minute mark. I really like trawling YouTube for footage of Santana, just to watch him. Same with Benson, as he tended to be known here for the smooth jazz vocal hits (nothing wrong with them though).

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
The critics never really liked Carlos Santana's jazz rock material, but here he is with John McLaughlin and the twin guitars are effortlessly ferocious. The Montreux album is one of my favourite jazz rock albums. You can hear McLaughlin's solo at around the five minute mark. I think I saw somewhere that the girl drummer is Santana's wife.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I am not so much a fan of Santana's pop duets, but always a fan of his playing. I always liked this, not only for Santana's guitar tone, but also because Michelle Branch has a lovely voice. I understand she is a country singer (?) and do not think I have ever heard her on anything else.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
One can only wonder what this unusual duet with Rod Stewart, when they were touring together, would have been like with a bit more rehearsal. I Would Rather Go Blind:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
No footage, I'm afraid, but a good quality recording.

Santana with Eric Clapton, who was familiar with Eyesight to the Blind, from the LA Forum in 1975. It is perhaps not as unusual as implied in the YT comments. This twenty five minute recording proves that Santana can play R'n'B as well as anyone. Clapton and Santana bring out the heavy side of each other's playing (I don't think Eric was ever into jazz rock).

Neshabur

Reaction score
I could not find the Santana thread so I created one for this duet with two of the most fluid guitarists together: Carlos Santana and George Benson on Breezin' (1976). Just watch Santana's fingers at around the two-and-a-half minute mark. I really like trawling YouTube for footage of Santana, just to watch him. Same with Benson, as he tended to be known here for the smooth jazz vocal hits (nothing wrong with them though).

@Big Ears

Nice thread!

That video was transmitted in 1978 at Italian Public Television (Rai TV).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there are no official dvds or cds.
It's a pity; often Carlos' sessions are not officially released.

Things are improved in recent years, but the best Santana (60's, 70 's) on jam sessions isn't available outside bootlegs.

Neshabur

Reaction score
No footage, I'm afraid, but a good quality recording.

Santana with Eric Clapton, who was familiar with Eyesight to the Blind, from the LA Forum in 1975. It is perhaps not as unusual as implied in the YT comments. This twenty five minute recording proves that Santana can play R'n'B as well as anyone. Clapton and Santana bring out the heavy side of each other's playing (I don't think Eric was ever into jazz rock).

https://www.discogs.com/it/Eric-Clapton-Crossroads-2-Live-In-The-Seventies/release/9997470

Great tune.
I remember Santana in 1983 in Genoa playing live Shake Your Money Maker by Elmore James, also played by Fleetwood Mac featuring Peter Green. :)

Neshabur

Reaction score
From Stories To Tell by Flora Purim featuring Carlos and Miroslav Vitous:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online