SANCTUARY

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
  • The band split up in 1992 and reformed in 2010.
  • serveimage-28.jpeg
Formed 1985, Seattle, WA, United States
Members;
Warrel Dane (vocals, 1985-92, 2010-17), Sean Blosl (guitar, 1985-92), Lenny Rutledge (guitar),Jim Sheppard (bass, 1985-92, 2010-16), Dave Budbill (drums), Rich Furtner (bass, 1986), Jeff Loomis (guitar, 1990-92, 2010-11), Shannon Sharp (guitar, 2011), Brad Hull (guitar, 1991, 2011-15), Nick Cordle (guitar, 2015-present), George Hernandez (bass, 2016-present), Attila Vörös (guitar, 1988, 2017-present)

Sanctuary , formed in Seattle in 1985 .
They were a Power/Thrash band that featured the amazing vocal talents of Warrel Dane . Epic Power/ Thrashers who blew me away with their first release, Rufuse Denied. Ive been a huge fan ever since.

They originally broke up after releasing their sophomore effort entitled, Into The Mirror Black , another great release.
. Afterward Dane, Jim Sheppard, and guitar wizard , Jeff Loomis formed the mighty ,Nevermore.
After a very impressive discography , and career under the Nevermore banner , Dane and Loomis began to have disagreements , which led to Dane and Sheppard contacting old bandmates , with the reformation of Sanctuary being the end result, After releasing two more excellent LPs ,
Warrel Dane passed from this mortal coil leaving Sanctuary's future In doubt.

In the posts that follow I will feature each of Sanctuary full lengh releases with a short write up and examples of their music for each album.
Great band that deserves to be featured here .

Last edited:

Vader

Reaction score
2018-04-20_01.39.46.jpg

RUFUSE DENIED , 1988 , Is Sanctuary's powerful debut which was produced by the one and only Dave Mustaine of Megadeth fame. This is rooted in traditional American Power Metal which is a much ruffer form than European Power. Like most so called American Power Metal it has a Thrashy edge through out. Warrel Danes powerful vocals are mostly in a very high register from start to finish but rather than grate on my nerves I throughly enjoy his sinister screeching in much the same manner as King Diamond.... Mustaines production is a bit raw and ruff but I personally feel that is as it should be.

On a personal note. I bought this CD on a blind buy just because I knew by looking at the cover it was going to be a very METAL offering and it does not disappoint. Far from it, it literally blew me away and started my life long fasination and admiration of Sanctuary and then Nevermore in later days.

Last edited:

Vader

Reaction score
2018-04-30_22.18.59.jpg

INTO THE MIRRIOR BLACK , 1990 .

ITMB , is a major musical step in the direction of what would become the mighty, Nevermore.
Which makes a lot sense due the fact that Dane, Loomis, & Sheppard would all depart from Sanctuary, and join forces once again in Nevermore. Although this album is less Thrash originated and more along the realm of Heavy Metal ( though still somewhat Thrashy and even progressive in some spots ) it's more powerful than the debut in many ways. Dane is no longer singing in the falsetto of Refuse Denied , but is instead singing with a more powerful inflection, full of emotion. That's not to say that his singing range has taken a backseat ,his more than ample ability is still on full display. Loomis' guitar playing , while not as technical as it would later become with the more progressive minded Nevermore, is still masterful, amazing, and quite memorable on this classic , highly influential, album.
This is a very dark , powerful , musical , reflection of society ,and mankind as a whole. It still ranks extremely high on my all time Metal album lists. Few albums stick in my head the way this one does after listening. Catchy, brilliant, display of talent with insightful lyrics that move and are thought provoking.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Last edited:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I'm amazed I can still "discover" metal bands from so long ago. I guess that's the result of 1980's Chicago only having one underground metal station.

I heard Future Tense on Sirius Liquid Metal this morning, and the later Frozen on YT a little while ago and now I'm thinking I need to add 4 CD's to my collection.

Sanctuary-Future Tense (1990) (serious prophetic lyrics on this one)

Sanctuary-Frozen (2014)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online