Samuel (Sam) Cooke

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I almost posted this in the 60's rock forum, but it's not really that.
It's not Blues or Jazz either, really.

The music is Soul and R&B. So I guess this forum will have to suffice.

I am actually somewhat surprised I couldn't find a thread on the man. His influence on music (IMHO) is quite dramatic.

Anyways, on to the man...

samcooke.jpg

Sam Cooke

Samuel Cook, (January 22, 1931 – December 11, 1964), better known under the stage name Sam Cooke, was an American gospel, R&B, soul, and pop singer, songwriter, and entrepreneur. He is considered to be one of the pioneers and founders of soul music.
He is commonly known as the King of Soul for his distinctive vocal abilities and influence on the modern world of music. His contribution in pioneering Soul music led to the rise of Aretha Franklin, Bobby Womack, Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and popularized the likes of Otis Redding and James Brown.
On December 11, 1964, Cooke was fatally shot by the manager of the Hacienda Motel in Los Angeles, California, at the age of 33. At the time, the courts ruled that Cooke was drunk and distressed, and that the manager had killed Cooke in what was later ruled a justifiable homicide.
Over the course of his eight year career, Cooke charted twenty-nine Top 40 singles on the Billboard Pop Singles chart. He also charted twenty singles in the top ten of Billboard's R&B chart, Black Singles chart. Between 1957 and 1960, Sam Cook's records were produced on the Keen label. From 1960 through 1966 they were produced on the RCA label

Sam Cooke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sam Cooke’s Discography can be seen below. I won’t post them all here, as many are singles.

Sam Cooke discography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cooke had 29 top-40 hits in the U.S. between 1957 and 1964. Major hits like "You Send Me", "A Change Is Gonna Come", "Cupid", "Chain Gang", "Wonderful World", and "Twistin' the Night Away" are some of his most popular songs. Cooke was also among the first modern black performers and composers to attend to the business side of his musical career. He founded both a record label and a publishing company as an extension of his careers as a singer and composer.

Last edited:

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
A Change Is Gonna Come

Cupid

Twisting The Night Away

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Wonderful thread Mr B :grinthumb I only have one Sam Cooke album "Try A Little Love".

A song of his I really like is 'Wonderful World' I also have the Otis Redding version of the same song.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online