Samantha Fish

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I've posted about Samantha in other threads before, but I never got around to creating a thread entirely for her, so to celebrate her forthcoming studio album, this is it, finally!

I first discovered Samantha Fish when I picked up a copy of Ruff Records "Girls with guitars" record. I was totally blown away by Samantha's performance and I immediately picked up her debut solo record. I've been following her ever since and what can I say, she grows with every release. She's a phenomenal guitar player and I love her vocals! There's a bunch of talented young blues women out there, but I think Samantha is a step above most of them.

Discography:
Live Bait (2009)
Girls with Guitars (2011)
Runaway (2011)
Girls with Guitars Live CD/DVD (2012)
Black Wind Howlin' (2013)
Wild Heart (2015)
Chills & Fever (2017)

So, Samatha released a soul record earlier this year and now she's got another record on the way, going back to the blues.

Ruf Records proudly presents BELLE OF THE WEST, the upcoming release from Samantha Fish - now available for pre-order on Amazon. BELLE OF THE WEST is 11 personal and powerful tracks straight from the legendary Zebra Ranch Studios in the North Hills of Mississippi. The record features the region's most iconoclastic musicians, including Luther Dickinson, solo artist and Jack White associate Lillie Mae (whose distinctive vocals are featured on "Nearing Home"), much-traveled juke-joint blues artist Lightnin' Malcolm (who is featured on "Poor Black Mattie"), Squirrel Nut Zippers founder Jimbo Mathus, upright bassist and beloved solo artist Amy LaVere, Tikyra Jackson, Trina Raimey and Shardé Thomas, granddaughter of the legendary Southern bluesman Otha Turner.

Such memorable new originals as "American Dream," "Blood in the Water," "More Than You Know" and "Don't Say You Love Me" demonstrate the artist's knack for organic Americana songcraft, while a trio of cover tunes— R. L. Burnside's "Poor Black Mattie," Lillie Mae's "Nearing Home" and the Jimbo Mathus-penned title track—attest to her substantial interpretive skills as well as her varied musical interests.

While the 21 Week Billboard #1 CHILLS & FEVER pays homage to an era of great soul music, BELLE OF THE WEST (produced by Luther Dickinson) digs deep into the roots over Mississippi's North Hills and through the crossroads of Americana's Rural Country Blues.

Release Date: 11/3/17

21558607_10155485726045673_1839249897588764709_n.jpg

Here's a mix of some studio and live tracks to get an idea of how awesome this woman is:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I discovered Sam Fish a couple of years ago. So far, I only have one album of hers (Black Wind Howlin') and I have the live album with Dani Wilde and Vicki Smith (Girls with Guitars)

Both albums are great, I LOVE Black Wind Howlin'. One of the better blues albums I've bought in years. Not one bad track on that album. one of my faves is one where she splits vocals with Paule Thorn:

Samantha Fish - Go To Hell

really dig the guitar work on this one ^^^

I _REALLY_ need to get more of her stuff. I like her voice, love her guitar work. *bow*

Lynch

Reaction score
Got a couple of tickets to see her in a couple of weeks.

Really looking forward to it. Have been watching some of her live shows that are out on YT in getting psyched up for it.

Lynch

Reaction score
Was a good time. Took a bunch of pics, took a few videos. She is very good live (as I had witnessed all over youtube and a couple other live albums I've heard her on).

The opening act was horrid. My son and I went downstairs at this place to eat and have a few beers while he was doing the OPPOSITE of 'warming up' the crowd. Flat-out awful.

I will say this though, I do like the stuff she did when she was just in a trio rather than a 6-person group. The keyboard player was good, bass was ok, drums ok. But now she has two horn players and a gal on the violin on stage and to me, it took away from what I liked most about her, which is her guitar playing. I'm not complaining about the show, and as much as I liked it, I was a tad bit disappointed simply because of the setup in the club and it kind of mish-mashed the sound a bit.

That being said, I'd still go see her again in a heartbeat.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online