Rush - Rush (1974)

Hardnecker

Reaction score
Re: Rush: Rush (1974)

I don't hear any keyboards on this record. I hear harmonics with a phase shifter on Before and After that could be mistaken for keys. I'll have to listen to it again. I could be wrong.

fielding

Reaction score

I don't hear any keyboards on this record. I hear harmonics with a phase shifter on Before and After that could be mistaken for keys. I'll have to listen to it again. I could be wrong.

I might be wrong on that, wasn't sure what made that sound on the intro there.

Manic Monkey

Skirt Herder
Reaction score

Great debut album by what turned out to be a legendary band. Favorite track on this one has to be Working Man.

Too bad they had to go and be from Canada, eh?

2923195208_ec2376716d.gif

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score

Nowhere near the guy's best album, to me no real sense of musical identity yet, not a clue that they would go in the direction that they did by the time they got to 2112, but that's down to the fact Peart hadn't arrived and showed them how to write great songs. Peart was the missing piece in the puzzle, if I didn't know and love them like I do and I just heard this album cold, I'd say 3rd rate Led Zep rip-off, go find your own sound guys!! Which of course they did pretty quickly as soon as they recorded stuff like 'By Tor' and and 'Fountains of Lamneth' and 'Necromacer' on their next two albums. I'd rate it maybe a 5/10, but then that goes up to a 9/10 by the time they got to Caress of Steel, and for me hasn't dipped from that much in the next 30 years. My favourite band ever probably, it hurts to rate anything they did so low, but this is a rookie record, and as such it's fine, but I hardly ever play it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Great debut album by what turned out to be a legendary band. Favorite track on this one has to be Working Man.

Too bad they had to go and be from Canada, eh?

2923195208_ec2376716d.gif

That's funny MM, we just got a spring snowstorm so my back yard does sort of look like that.:heheh:

Yep, they are Canadian and we are proud of them. And while numerous other music institutions snub Rush, they get the respect and official recognition they deserve at home.

I have to agree with TS's excellent summation, I have been really thinking hard about who other than Rush can boast such quality over their career, and I can't think of any other band that matches what they have done, and are still doing.:bow:

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score

I like most of Rush's work, besides Snakes and Arrows that was pretty terrible.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I've read a few comments by people that think the DVD of Snakes & Arrows is the best music DVD ever released....haven't seen it myself so I can't comment, but I like Snakes & Arrows fine. Like TS I think their debut album is their weakest because Neil Peart had not arrived yet, since then they've never looked back.

fielding

Reaction score

I think Snakes and Arrows was a huge improvement over Vapor Trials. In my opinion, Caress of Steel was the weakest album they've produced. That's just me...I just thought it was a "stale" album.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Great album , I love Rush so would always rate them, 7/10 for me, can't wait for the new album :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online