Register to remove these ads

Rush - Clockwork Angels (2012)

Discussion in 'Album Reviews' started by Big Ears, Aug 6, 2012.

1. KingHeadache

KingHeadache Banned

Old dogs really can do new tricks !

2. KingHeadache

KingHeadache Banned

Canadian dogs that is!

3. ANTHEM

ANTHEM Senior Member

Still haven't bought this album but imho it's an improvement over snakes and arrows because snakes and arrows was mixed too much in acoustics and lacked the crunch they should have had. Headlong flight imo is the best on this album btw.

4. Rattlesnake Rock n Roller

Rattlesnake Rock n Roller Senior Member

^ This I totally agree with. I really hate to say it but I haven't fully liked a Rush album since Counterparts, and yet I still buy each new release lol, and it's not so much the music that I don't like but more Geds vocals... TO ME they lack dynamics, melody, excitement. I love all the early albums where Ged sang some crazy banshee. I also agree that the lack of keyboards has taken an important part of the equation out of the sound and writing.

I am glad that I bought this album off of Amazon on one of their daily deals for $1.. I tried to appreciate and like this album but it just not do it for me :uh:

5. Metal Head Mike

Metal Head Mike Senior Member

Great review. I really enjoy this album. This has stayed in my rotation for some time. I wasn't sure about this at first. But it answeared all my questions first listen out

6. runningshoes

runningshoes Great White North

Rush has been releasing albums for the sake of releasing albums since the late 80's. The last one I enjoyed is Power Windows.

7. recgord27

recgord27 Walking down a dusty road

Rush never fails to deliver. Initially I didn't like this album at all, but with a few plays I started to understand what they were doing. I like it that it's different from their previous albums.
    Great review @Big Ears

8. TheWhalerfan

TheWhalerfan Lovus My Avatarus

Agree that this is a different sound from Rush, and it took me a few spins to appreciate it fully. Caravan, Headlong Flight, The Wreckers, Wish them Well, etc all are great, but IMO the recording just sucks. It has been mixed so loud that it distorts with any volume at all..which is a complaint for most new CDs these days but I haven't noticed one this bad in a long time. It actually stops me from listening to it on a regular basis, and there was no need for it to be this way.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good effort, minus the mixing. They might be toast now, and if this is their last hurrah it was a decent way to end it.

Good review!

9. Power Plant records

Power Plant records Junior Member

so good