Runrig

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
One Scottish band that seems to get overlooked these day are Runrig. They are a band which constantly produce good albums, and singles, and they have a large following both in the UK and also Europe. I don't know what their following is in the States but if you like folk rock, and are prepared to listen to some of their output sung in Gaelic, the experience is imho rewarding.

A good overview of their career to date can be found at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runrig and their fan site is at

http://www.runrig.co.uk/home.html

Any of their compilation albums give a good idea of their music and if you are considering purchasing any other albums, The Cutter & The Clan is one that I would advise anyone to consider.

g69487kwhes.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I enjoy Gaelic, if that's what Enya is singing in many of her songs Jeffrey.

I'll look around and see if I can find the album you recommended.:D

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
I enjoy Gaelic, if that's what Enya is singing in many of her songs Jeffrey.
I'll look around and see if I can find the album you recommended.:D
Runrig do sing in English and Gaelic and the combination of the traditional instruments such as the bagpipes and the electric instruments (bass/synthesisers/guitars etc) make an interesting mix. If you listen to some of Thin Lizzy's work you'll hear a similar "Gaelic/electric combination" and of course you could include such bands as Big Country and Wolfstone in that group. One has to acknowlege the pioneering work of bands such as Planxty, Moving Hearts, Albion Band, Fairport etc., when it comes to using electric instruments in traditional music and if you want to hear the way that folk music has evolved, try and find a 3 CD set called "New Electric Muse" which is the story of folk into rock.

Details at
Electric Muse: The Story of Folk into Rock

newelectricmuse.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I love the cover art Jeffrey, I'll keep an eye open for that collection.

Thanks, :cheers2

crimsonking

Reaction score
Runrig are a very good band from the little i have heard. I'll have to purchase one of their compilations, i think.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online