runningshoes' Photo Op

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Mick Taylor 1969

Mick Taylor performing at Hyde Park, London in July 5, 1969 in what turned into a Brian Jones tribute show following his death only three days earlier. The show had been announced almost a month before Jones`death and Taylor had only come in to replace him at the end of May.

They certainly never made any comparisons between me and Brian. As far as they were concerned it was a new phase in their career. I was aware of being tested as a personality, but I never felt intimidated as a player. I was a bit overawed by it. I was very tense, very nervous and probably very introverted. They did what they could to make me feel relaxed. On a social level I was very much the new boy of the group. But I always felt we shared a musical rapport. I had to find my own level to become a part of their situation. It took me a long time to find myself within the group. It was a gradual process of fitting in with the band, playing in a way which contributed not only to the sound but to everything.

Mick Taylor

taylor_1969.jpg

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Brian Jones 1968

Brian during recording sessions for Beggars Banquet sometime during June, 1968. Beggars Banquet was Brian`s last full effort with the Stones. In addition to his slide guitar on No Expectations, he played harmonica on Dear Doctor, Parachute Woman and Prodigal Son. He played sitar and tambura on Street Fighting Man, mellotron on Jigsaw Puzzle and Stray Cat Blues, and sang backing vocals on Sympathy for the Devil.

Brian_BB.jpg

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Bill Wyman 1964

Bill Wyman signs an autograph for a fan at Heathrow Airport in London after the Stones arrived home from their first American tour.

You had to be strong to join the Stones. The faint-hearted or ultra sensitive would not have stood the gibes that poured from Mick and Keith. From the minute I joined I realized they had to have someone to poke fun at, not always in a humorous way, often spiteful and hurtful. They HAD to have a scapegoat or a guinea-pig and in the early days it was me, followed by Brian. This could range from the colour socks I wore, which they went on about all the time, to the jackets I bought, the cigarettes I smoked, the drinks I drank. And they always made fun of me for liking rock & roll. Jerry Lee Lewis, Eddie Cochran, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley - I grew up loving the music of these people. The Stones won me over to the blues, but I didn't suddenly take a dislike to straight American pop. They laughed about it all the time, couldn't believe they had recruited a player who was right for the Stones but who liked "white" rock & roll.

Bill Wyman

heathrow_1964.jpg

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Brian Jones and John Lennon 1968

Brian with John Lennnon, Yoko Ono and John's son Julian in December 1968 during the filming of Rock And Roll Circus.

Brian was different over the years as he disintegrated. He ended up the kind of guy that you dread he'd come on the phone, you know, because you knew it was trouble. He was really in a lot of pain. But in the early days he was alright, because he was young and confident. He was one of them guys that disintegrated right in front of you.

John Lennon

brian_lennon.jpg

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
US Arrival April, 1969

Robert, Jimmy, John and John Paul walk through the airport in San Fransisco to begin their second US tour at the Fillmore.

1969_SanFran.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online