HodgsonRoger.jpg

Albums
(After Supertramp)

In the Eye of the Storm (1984)
Hai Hai (1987)
Rites of Passage (1997) (Live)
Open The Door (2000)
Classics Live (2010) (Live)

When a lot of people hear the name Roger Hodgson, they either think "Who the heck is he?" or "I love Supertramp!" Like most, I found out about Roger through my obsession with Supertramp. I'm 18 years old, so I have to continuously "discover new-old artists" when I want to expand my library (I wasn't lucky enough to watch all of this music be released!), and there's nothing more rewarding that researching a classic rock artist, listening to their songs, and thinking "Oh I know this song!!!" This is how it was for Supertramp, of course, with Give A Little Bit, Breakfast in America, The Logical Song, Take the Long Way Home, etc. However, when I really start to get into a band, I tend to try to learn everything about them. This brought me to Roger Hodgson: The voice of Supertramp. When I think of his voice, I think of it literally as the vocalist for most of Supertramp's hits, but also the entire band's voice. Hodgson was and still is a musical genius.

Hodgson left Supertramp in 1981 to spend time with his family and pursue a solo career--A career that he clearly always wanted. Ongoing tensions between Rick Davies and Hodgson eventually led to his departure from the band, and Supertramp took quite a hit after this, since Hodgson claimed ownership of practically all of Supertramp's hits, as he wrote them. From the small studio he built in his Northern California home, he began recording In The Eye of The Storm in 1981. The 1984 album was moderately successful, with the single "Had A Dream (Sleeping With The Enemy)" reaching #48 in the United States. Discouraged from the limited success of this album and Hai Hai, Hodgson took a long break from recording and touring. He has since released two live albums as well as another studio album, Open The Door.

Other than being incredibly talented, I think Roger Hodgson is a remarkable man. Through watching many interviews and doing tons of research, I have come to the conclusion that he sort of used Supertramp as a springboard for his solo career, even though the 70's in Supertramp would be the height of his success. He is incredibly possessive of his work, and he loves to talk about how he wrote many of the band's hits before his work with the band even started. I feel as if he viewed himself as sort of a "lone wolf" even as a prime member of Supertramp. He's a true troubadour, and a real philosopher. It's so easy to listen to his music and hear the passion and love behind his words, or perhaps even the pain.

While I've never seen him in live performance, I'm hoping someday I can. It would just be a wonderful show. At least for now I have YouTube.

This is one of my favorite interviews with Roger. I love listening to him talk about the meanings behind his songs:

Here are some of my favorite songs by Hodgson, and of course I love all of his Supertramp hits (Especially "Hide In Your Shell"!!!!) (Also sorry I couldn't find a clearer version of Had A Dream on YouTube...)

My favorite Hodgson song is definitely "I'm Not Afraid" however I couldn't find it on YouTube anywhere, so I'm currently in the process of uploading it myself to YouTube. I'll be sure to post it!! :D

Fun Fact #1: Roger is a vegetarian!
Fun Fact #2: At the beginning of Roger and Rick's working together, Roger tried LSD and claims that it was the "happiest day of his life." Rick was offered some by Hodgson, though he declined.​

I hope I'm not overstepping any bounds by posting an "official thread" only a couple days into my being a member here! Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong!

Domino

Reaction score
Here is I'm Not Afraid: My favorite Hodgson song. Awesome harmonica! (I play harmonica... it just gives me chills in this song). I uploaded this myself and I will probably upload more songs in the future :D

EDIT: It might not work... It says it was blocked. I'm gonna try to fix it!

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online