Rodriguez (Official Thread)

Aero

Reaction score
SugarMan.jpg0.jpg

The other day I was cruising the net looking for new movies coming out and saw one called "Searching For Sugar Man." It's a documentary about two guys in South Africa looking for a once promising artist called Rodriguez who basically disappeared after his music career went nowhere. According to some he killed himself onstage, but nothing could be proven because no one knew where he lived.

Going back in time to the early 70s, Rodriguez was signed by a small record label who deemed him the next great thing. This guy was supposed to be the next Bob Dylan but the albums flopped in the US and he left the music business to live a normal life...until he disappeared.

Well, the rumors about him killing himself were proven untrue and he was found living a very private life in Michigan. Unbeknownst to him, his music had become legendary in South Africa, resulting in a film about finding out his whereabouts and what happened to him.

Anyhow, if you like Bob Dylan, you'll probably dig his music.

Studio Albums:
Cold Fact (1970)
Coming from Reality (1971)

Sugar Man

Crucify Your Mind

Official Website

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Yeah, all the stories of how legendary Rodriguez is in South Africa are true and has probably been understated in the movie. In South Africa there are people that don't know who Bob Dylan is, but know Rodriguez, such is the extent of his fame. Loved by the young and the old alike, his music has struck a chord with the south african psyche. It was the soundtrack for my youth, my student years and is on-going 40 years later.
I was priveleged enough to see him last year when he came out here and it was like a religious experience. I have never been to a concert where there is so much adulation for an artist. At his first concert over here a few years back, when he first came on stage he had a standing ovation for over 10 minutes before he could even play. Don't think there are many artists out there that can generate that sort of feeling. Awesome stuff:)
btw, he has two live albums
Rodriguez - Live Fact
Rodriguez Alive (1979) - released in Australia on a special licence valid for one year only. Never seen this album anywhere except on the net.

Watch the video "Dead men don't tour" for a different take on the Rodriguez story.

Aero

Reaction score
He came over to LA to play a couple of shows and I missed it. Still pissed about that. I think the guy is one of the most under-appreciated talents in music.

I like his stuff more than Dylan.

recgord27

Reaction score
He came over to LA to play a couple of shows and I missed it. Still pissed about that. I think the guy is one of the most under-appreciated talents in music.

I like his stuff more than Dylan.

Hear, hear.
If he ever comes your way again, it would be very worth it to see him live. Very humble, self-deprecating man. He should have been huge.

recgord27

Reaction score

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online