Rock's Unanswerable Questions

eccentric man

Reaction score
right. but all the covers you mention were only played live. and nirvana covering more than a feeling was very much tongue in cheek because of the similarities between the chorus riff in MTAF and the intro riff for smells like teen spirit (same chords slightly altered rhythm)

as for 'the man who sold the world' how many people do you think who grew up on nirvana recognized that as a bowie tune when they first heard it? same with all the other covers from that unplugged session.

as for johnny cash covering NIN. you might want to give credit where credit is due for that one. those cover discs are ALL rick rubin's doing. hell rubin even got soundgarden to record a 'country-fied' version of rusty cage before cash would even consider covering the tune.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Not all the covers I mentioned are live. Nirvana did the Kiss song on the Kiss tribute album. But besides, I never intended to suggest Neil Young should release a Nirvana song as his next single or anything. Playing it live is all that I'm asking.

Regardless of Nirvana fans were familiar with The Man Who Sold The World beforehand, Kurt Cobain tells us that it's a Bowie tune right after playing it. And even though it's live, it's on the greatest hits, most Nirvana tab books I've seen, and it's one of the few Nirvana songs I've heard on the radio. Kurt said who all the covers were by on Unplugged.

Regardless of what kind of coaxing Cash had to be subjected to before he was willing to make this particular music history, Hurt proves beyond a reasonable doubt that you can cross more than one generation and come out as an absolute triumph. Playing something by a prior legend is genrally tame, playing something from a contemporary is interesting but decreases when your contemporaries themselves become legends, but playing something from people who came after you shows some true taste, IMO. And most of all I think people should play whatever they want. The media doesn't matter, the fans are going to like the artist for doing what he or she wants.

Sir Sartana

Reaction score
Totally agree on this. Of all the big time rockers that died too young, Hendrix is the main one of really only a very few that still had alot to offer.
Sure, it's a shame when someone dies too young, but for the most part it's usually not any major loss to the music world.

Hendrix was also a big influence on the emergence of Funk and would have also been the master of that style of music.
Just check out his music after The Experience broke up and you could hear him inventing Funk with such tunes as Dolly Dagger,Message of Love,Izabella,Freedom and Highway Chile just to name a few.:phones:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online