Rock's fifth symphony?

DarkWishWall

Reaction score
England - The birth of great music! Specifically B
I was listening to 'Born To Run' whilst waiting for a bus the other day and the title track came on and I thought 'Wow, this really is rock's fifth symphony'. In case you aren't familiar with the fifth, it isn't necessarily the BEST piece of classical music, but just has the most mythical quality and is one of those pieces of music that will live for ever. So I reckon it's Born To Run, what do you think? One song that will be remembered by everybody when this rock thing is dead and buried.

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score
if it is the song I am thining of, I hate it :p. I think Layla will always be remembered. I love that song.

Big Generator

Reaction score
I've been trying to forget "Born To Run" and "Layla" for years now...but there's no escape...so I guess you're both right.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I go with something by Elvis or the Beatles. I am not an Elvis fan but hey, he was the king and all. And of course the Beatles were the Beatles.

Zombeels

Reaction score
I can't stand Born to Run or Layla. Stairway to Heaven is OK but I've heard it way too many times. My nominations for Rock's fifth symphony are:
Animals - House Of The Rising Sun
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper
Uriah Heep - Madgician's Birthday
CCR - Have You Ever Seen The Rain
Buffalo Springfileld - For What It's Worth
Troggs - Wild Thing
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Lucky Man
Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl
Zombies - Time Of The Season
The Who - Baba O'Reilly

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
To begin with, I don't think rock's going to be forgotten anytime soon. But there is no rock song that will be considered a "fifth symphony". Symphonies are large scale works. They correspond most accurately to the long play album (in fact, 33 RPM records were actually invented to contain symphonies).

For this reason, I would offer that the works of the rock era most likely to be considered great in the very long run (that a work like Beethoven's 5th has survived to see) would be great albums like Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band, Pet Sounds, or Dark Side of the Moon.

As for Springsteen, he's written lots of fine rock songs, but I don't think he has an album that's even distantly in the running for that kind of immortality.

Last edited:

DarkWishWall

Reaction score
England - The birth of great music! Specifically B
I was waiting for someone to be pedantic. Of course rock's not going to be forgotten any time soon but neither was classical 200 years ago! Nobody mentioned that classical isn't even dead yet either, but never mind. Also, the phrase 'fifth symphony' was maybe a little more metaphorical than you allowed for. I wasn't actually looking for an actual rock symphony, otherwise the choice is pretty limited! But of course you're right - all three of those will be remembered. Springsteen is one of the most important songwriters of the last century, and I think his masterpiece - Born To Run - is easily mentionable in the same breath as those other albums.

As for Zombeels list, I think House Of The Rising Sun is the only thing in with a shout there.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online