Rock Philosophy

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Joey Self said:
Not much; I don't look to musicians for answers to philosophic questions.

JcS

Interesting. I can find philosophical answers in most everything regardless of where I happen to be looking. But music is such a powerful medium. I'm curious, what do you get out of music then?

eccentric man

Reaction score
i think time and place definitely play a factor in what you can 'get' out of music. i remember my late teens / early 20s and listening to soundgarden A LOT. it was a cathartic release for all the anger and rage inside me, i could take it all out on my guitar while riffing along to the cds turned up really loud. today i hardly ever listen to them, it's still great when i hear their music but it doesn't touch me in the same way anymore. i guess for me music was more theraputic rather than philosophically enlightening.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
But how was it therapeutic? How did it make you feel better? Did it bring back your faith in man? Did it reassure you that you weren't the only one feeling bad at any one time? Philosophy is more than just the meaning of life and is there a God.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Joey Self said:
Not much; I don't look to musicians for answers to philosophic questions.

This describes me as well. For me, questions of philosophy are a left brain activity best addressed by the logical, analytical thought process involved in reading a book. But I think I process music with the right brain; it's much more about emotion and intuition than logic. While I have semi-spiritual experiences listening to music, it's more about feeling than thinking. So if the content of a particular lyric connects with me philosophically, it's because it's consistent with my philosophy of life, not because it actually helps to form that philosophy of life. I don't know if that will make sense to anyone else but I can't think of any other way to explain it. :)

Spike

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
eccentric man said:
i think time and place definitely play a factor in what you can 'get' out of music. i remember my late teens / early 20s and listening to soundgarden A LOT. it was a cathartic release for all the anger and rage inside me, i could take it all out on my guitar while riffing along to the cds turned up really loud. today i hardly ever listen to them, it's still great when i hear their music but it doesn't touch me in the same way anymore. i guess for me music was more theraputic rather than philosophically enlightening.
This is truth for some for sure, though playing drums is a pleasure to me now, there was once upon a time that bashing them thunderously was therapy for me, especially in my late teens through mid 20's.
I still bash hard sometimes, that's a pleasure too, but somehow I can appreciate playing with music more now...guess it's a maturing thing.
I think we learn to deal with our anger as we age, or not....

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
John Lennon contributed greatly to my philosophy of life with "All You Need Is Love". Not just the title, but the whole lyric. I especially love the line, "There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be." I think that's a revelational truth right there. The whole idea that life boils down to being here now and being "in love" (as in dwelling in the principle of love, living a life that is based on that) is very central to what I believe.

A lot of the songs from the psychedelic late 60s have shaped my thinking philosophically. The music of that era has probably been almost as influential as the Bible on my life. I think of such songs as "Everyday People" by Sly and the Family Stone, "Crystal Blue Persuasion" by Tommy James and the Shondells, "Get Together" by the Youngbloods, and other such songs as being part of why I am the kind of person I am today. The ideal of universal love and of the world as a community is still something I believe in strongly. It doesn't look like the concept has a lot of takers these days, but I'm still pushing it.
I'd say those are great concepts, Rev. :)

Which reminds me what a powerful force music can be when it comes to getting messages across. Personally I find music with a message - political or just "All You Need Is Love" - to be most powerful. It can give voice to movements and it certainly had an impact on me.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Spike said:
This describes me as well. For me, questions of philosophy are a left brain activity best addressed by the logical, analytical thought process involved in reading a book. But I think I process music with the right brain; it's much more about emotion and intuition than logic. While I have semi-spiritual experiences listening to music, it's more about feeling than thinking. So if the content of a particular lyric connects with me philosophically, it's because it's consistent with my philosophy of life, not because it actually helps to form that philosophy of life. I don't know if that will make sense to anyone else but I can't think of any other way to explain it. :)

Spike

Makes sense to me. I feel exactly the same way.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Drummer Chris said:
This is truth for some for sure, though playing drums is a pleasure to me now, there was once upon a time that bashing them thunderously was therapy for me, especially in my late teens through mid 20's.
I still bash hard sometimes, that's a pleasure too, but somehow I can appreciate playing with music more now...guess it's a maturing thing.
I think we learn to deal with our anger as we age, or not....

I grew out of all the music I listened to as a teenager...but now in my late thirties I'm regressing totally and have accepted that I haven't evolved, after all.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
When I discovered the music of Canadian singer/songwriter Bruce Cockburn (over the course of the 80s), I was immediately drawn to the Christian mysticism and political activism of his lyrics. He is a believer in non-violence but he's no starry eyed pacifist (as his song "Rocket Launcher" made vividly clear in the mid 80s). He basically translates the "Two Great Commandments" (love God with all that you are, and love your neighbor as yourself) into a personal and political philosophy of life that demands total involvement in the world and in ones own spiritual development. His lyrical perspective has greatly influenced my own spiritual pilgrimage.

Bono's lyrical perspective in U2's music has also been an inspiration in my life. The members of U2 have confessed to being influenced by both Cockburn's excellent songwriting and musicianship as well as his example of spirituality and political activism. Bono directly quoted the lyric of Cockburn's "Lovers In A Dangerous Time" in U2's "God Part 2" on the Rattle and Hum album.

Several of George Harrison's songs have made an impact on me as well. He has written some "love songs to God" that are truly powerful devotional statements. "Long, Long, Long", "Hear Me Lord", "Give Me Love, Give Me Peace On Earth", and a lesser known tune called "Your Love Is Forever" are some that immediately come to mind. The song "All Things Must Pass" is hard to deal with when you're young and feeling invincible. But now with (most likely) over half my earthly life behind me, I hear this song and find it infinitely comforting, to understand that the pain of life (as well as its joy) is temporary and should not be held too tightly.

Peace,
The Rev

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Big Generator said:
I grew out of all the music I listened to as a teenager...but now in my late thirties I'm regressing totally and have accepted that I haven't evolved, after all.
Cool Dude, have fun....I love the old stuff still too

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online