Rock 'n' roll singers DON'T get better with age.

Schmetterling

Reaction score
Ah, a subject close to my heart but one which I don't really like to bring up for fear of offending legions of loyal fans....

Actual old age notwithstanding, and placing an arbitrary limit of say 65 years of age on the discussion, personally I can't think of a single singer who has actually improved with age, but I can think of many who have gone spectacularly downhill but who refuse to acknowledge the fact and carry on regardless. I've watched a fair few clips on youtube of certain bands who I liked years ago and whose earlier works still form a huge part of my collection, but whose singers are now little more than an embarrassment and just need to give the whole thing up and retire. I find it very sad and disappointing.

Aero

Reaction score
Are we talking about vocals, song writing, etc?

Starchild

Little Dreamer
Reaction score
Anthony Kiedis did. I hated Give it Away with a passion. That was the first RHCP song I ever heard. I thought what the hell is this sh*t? Then I started listening to RHCP 10 years ago because of Dave N. I really loved Stadium Arcadium. It was overwhelmingly good.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
David Lee Roth is my champion here. He's always was horrible frontman without any abilities to sing. And he'd became worse with age (although, I thought, that to be worse already impossile).

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
To some extent it depends on the singer.
His style of singing.
If the singer is Leonard Coen then there is no reason why he can't keep doing what he's doing till he dies.
Which he did. Even Dylan might do this.
But if he's Robert Plant, Steven Tyler eyc then it comes with an expiration date.
No way around it.
They may get better for a while then inevitably they crest the hill.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online