Robert Johnson (Official Thread)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: The Official Robert Johnson Thread

A couple of great tunes showing Robert's skill handling two different styles within the blues format.:cheers2

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Ordered a comp. from Amazon tonight it was pretty cheap now all I have to do is is wait.

Listening to that first video you can really hear Johnson's influence on Jimmy Page's playing

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Here's Peter Green going for that same Preachin' Blues ..

Robert Johnson was a massive influence on the best Brit guitar players.:grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Never heard of him much until now, but i'm liking what i'm hearing. Very talented musician.

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

In memory of Robert Johnson! Robert passed away on this day in 1938.

"Me and the Devil, walking side by side."

~Robert Johnson~

Robert_Johnson-2.jpg

May 8, 1911 – August 16, 1938

One of the most well known details of Robert Johnson's life is the legend that he sold his soul to the Devil at a country crossroads. It's embedded in our popular culture. Almost nobody brings up the idea of selling one's soul to the Devil without mentioning Johnson.

Blues greats Son House and Charley Patton played house parties and juke joints around the Mississippi Delta for fun and change. As Son House told it, when they'd stop in between sets, young Robert Johnson would go play around with their guitars, making a racket and annoying everybody around him. He simply couldn't play! Then he disappeared, (which wasn't unusual in those days) and came back a year or two later a blues guitar master. Nobody could figure out how he learned to play so well in such a short period of time. Folks said he must have sold his soul to the Devil to play that well. The fact that he came back with songs about going down to the crossroads (to make a deal), walking side by side with the Devil, and Hellhounds on his trail only added to the mystery. Not long after that, the Devil came to collect. Johnson died mysteriously at age 27.

There are a number of accounts and theories regarding to Johnson's death with most claiming he was allegedly poisoned from whiskey laced with strychnine. He was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame (1980), Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1986), Mississippi Blues Musician Hall of Fame (2000) and in 2006, he posthumously received the Gammy Lifetime Achievement Award.

Source :Bluescentric

crossroadsgrayscale.jpg

Robert Johnson`s Memorial @ Find A Grave

Dead Blues Guys

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score
Was just listening to a tape I own of his recordings earlier. Love love love, his stuff!

Lord Dweedle

Reaction score
this guys awesome, discovered him last week.. Blues music is so.. its hard to explain but I feel so sad yet so happy listening to it, perhaps my emotions are messed up lol

Khor1255

Reaction score
No it is. It's a tonic for the soul. And people like RJ are it's principle ingredients.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online