Robert Johnson (Official Thread)

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Re: The Official Robert Johnson Thread

He's a fantastic musician - Sweet Home Chicago, Cross Road Blues, If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day. It's a pity he didn't get a chance to do more really.

It is true that he should be even with Muddy Waters and co though, but untimely death does tend to increase popularity of musicians (look at Michael Jackson).

On the Clapton album, it's very good IMO. Bit different to the way Johnson performed them, but then, Clapton is allowed to put his own touch on it. And I don't think there's anything wrong to do a cover album of your idol. Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music did a cover album of Bob Dylan, and if I ever got into the music industry (this is hypothetical, of course) I would certainly do an album of Beatles covers. Johnson deserves a tribute album just as much as Dylan and the Fab Four do, he's certainly as influential.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Halcyon Days:

Spike this maybe a real dumb qestion, but you said "One of his better known numbers was "Canned Heat Blues" which described his affection for sterno" I don't think I have ever heard it, so I was wondering why he loved sterno? Did he like to cook with? Or did he some how huff it and like the high from it?

Sterno is actually the drink of choice of the those who absolutely, positively need to keep it real! No suburban high school kids or other poseurs need apply.

SmallSterno.jpg

Sterno, it gets you there fast! But it's only for those man enough not to complain once they get there.

Feldster:

...but untimely death does tend to increase popularity of musicians (look at Michael Jackson).

I might not hold the little sister boy in such contempt had he been doing covers of Robert Johnson material.

:drums:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I love Robert Johnson. Him and Howling Wolf are my favorite old black blues players ,so far anyway . Great stuff !

a couple of my favorites

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score

Great, great guitarist and musician, he definitely was one of the founding fathers of rock and roll in it's origins.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

His legenedary status has been catapulted to the highest orbit by modern musicians and with good reason. I still havn't heard anyone truely capture his unique style he was a one off. I agree with DaKillerWolf about Robert Johnson and Howlin' Wolf but also Son House and Muddy Waters as my big four.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I need to check out Son House, Sox. What would you say his 2 best releases are ?

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

To be honest DKW I would kick off with something like.. The Original Delta Blues.

It's only a few £/$ and gives a good flavour of the man's style. If you want to spend more I guess The Library Of Congress Sessions or Son House Father Of The Delta Blues.

As you probably know Son House just disappeared off the scene only to be rediscovered in the 60's and he had to be almost retaught how to play his own music.
I think that's what I would do DKW start with a good compilation.:cheers2

ecisgod

Reaction score

Robert Johnson is one of thE most underated musicians of all time.. especially to stupid ******* kids like.. well .. not like me.. but in my age-range. Im actually doing a school project on robert j this second..

What do you think about claptons rj tribute..

Clapton is one of my favorite electric blues player.. but i think it was a bit chinsey to do a whole album of rj covers..
at least it wasnt a tribute to himself..

brits are kind of strange, but i like em.

I disagree and I absolutely enjoyed watching Clapton during the tour to promote this particular album. I thought it was a great idea and I would like to see other bands/musicians cover artists that they found inspiring.....IMO

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I love Robert Johnson, I have his collection, I suspect that there are some more lost recordings out there somewhere but I will carry on listening to the complete collection I have on cd for now. I also like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf, they have made some pearlers and worked with some other great musicians over the years. As for Son House, he is another legend on his own level.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online