Register to remove these ads

Robert Johnson (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Blues & Jazz' started by Mr Ace, Sep 8, 2005.

1. TheFeldster

TheFeldster Mr Kite

Re: The Official Robert Johnson Thread

He's a fantastic musician - Sweet Home Chicago, Cross Road Blues, If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day. It's a pity he didn't get a chance to do more really.

It is true that he should be even with Muddy Waters and co though, but untimely death does tend to increase popularity of musicians (look at Michael Jackson).

On the Clapton album, it's very good IMO. Bit different to the way Johnson performed them, but then, Clapton is allowed to put his own touch on it. And I don't think there's anything wrong to do a cover album of your idol. Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music did a cover album of Bob Dylan, and if I ever got into the music industry (this is hypothetical, of course) I would certainly do an album of Beatles covers. Johnson deserves a tribute album just as much as Dylan and the Fab Four do, he's certainly as influential.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound retired

Halcyon Days:

Sterno is actually the drink of choice of the those who absolutely, positively need to keep it real! No suburban high school kids or other poseurs need apply.

[​IMG]

Sterno, it gets you there fast! But it's only for those man enough not to complain once they get there.

Feldster:

I might not hold the little sister boy in such contempt had he been doing covers of Robert Johnson material.

:drums:

3. Velvetclown

Velvetclown Banned

One of the alltime greats.

4. DaKillerWolf

DaKillerWolf Cosmic Time Warp Warrior

I love Robert Johnson. Him and Howling Wolf are my favorite old black blues players ,so far anyway . Great stuff !

a couple of my favorites

5. JimmyByrne09

JimmyByrne09 Senior Member

Great, great guitarist and musician, he definitely was one of the founding fathers of rock and roll in it's origins.

6. Sox

Sox Avoiding The Swan Song

His legenedary status has been catapulted to the highest orbit by modern musicians and with good reason. I still havn't heard anyone truely capture his unique style he was a one off. I agree with DaKillerWolf about Robert Johnson and Howlin' Wolf but also Son House and Muddy Waters as my big four.

[​IMG]

7. DaKillerWolf

DaKillerWolf Cosmic Time Warp Warrior

I need to check out Son House, Sox. What would you say his 2 best releases are ?

8. Sox

Sox Avoiding The Swan Song

To be honest DKW I would kick off with something like.. The Original Delta Blues.

[​IMG]

It's only a few £/$ and gives a good flavour of the man's style. If you want to spend more I guess The Library Of Congress Sessions or Son House Father Of The Delta Blues.

As you probably know Son House just disappeared off the scene only to be rediscovered in the 60's and he had to be almost retaught how to play his own music.
    I think that's what I would do DKW start with a good compilation.:cheers2

9. ecisgod

ecisgod Senior Member

I disagree and I absolutely enjoyed watching Clapton during the tour to promote this particular album. I thought it was a great idea and I would like to see other bands/musicians cover artists that they found inspiring.....IMO

10. Sweaty

Sweaty ThE OtHeR rAmOnE

I love Robert Johnson, I have his collection, I suspect that there are some more lost recordings out there somewhere but I will carry on listening to the complete collection I have on cd for now. I also like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf, they have made some pearlers and worked with some other great musicians over the years. As for Son House, he is another legend on his own level.