Robert Johnson (Official Thread)

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Re: The Official Robert Johnson Thread

newdawnfades said:
I think I get Robert Johnson, but the antiquated recording of his music means you have to do a little more work than usual. It's really important to judge him in the context of his time, and what other musicians were doing to figure out why his work was important. I still have to read up a bit more on it all, but there is a definite earthy, raw appeal to his music, at least for me.

I think you hit the nail square on the head there. It is the antiquated recordings that make his music inaccesable to most folks. But if you can get past the limitations of the reocrdiong, and imagine yourslf right there, having it played in front of you, then you are in for a treat.

H

halcyon days

Riordan said:
:) Hes great!

im just gonna put on Contracted to The Deval!

i don't know if we should, i mean i hate that he was taken so early, but his deal with the devil is suppose to be how he became so great ;) and he was great :D

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score

I love Johnson's music. And all of the mysteries of the Johnson Myth make a helluva story. But the Johnson Myth should not obscure the genius of other bluesmen. For example, Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters were almost exact contemporaries of Johnson. And IMHO, their musical legacies are every bit as compelling. In fact, they changed the world when took the music of the Delta and electrified it in post-War Chicago. But because they lived long lives without the shroud of mystery, their story doesn't hold the same magic as the man who supposedly sold his soul to the devil. Johnson rightfully deserves a position in the pantheon, but it's a position he shares with several other giants of the blues.

Spike

algernon

Reaction score

Spike said:
I love Johnson's music. And all of the mysteries of the Johnson Myth make a helluva story. But the Johnson Myth should not obscure the genius of other bluesmen. For example, Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters were almost exact contemporaries of Johnson. And IMHO, their musical legacies are every bit as compelling. In fact, they changed the world when took the music of the Delta and electrified it in post-War Chicago. But because they lived long lives without the shroud of mystery, their story doesn't hold the same magic as the man who supposedly sold his soul to the devil. Johnson rightfully deserves a position in the pantheon, but it's a position he shares with several other giants of the blues.

Spike
Tell it bother...TELL it :cool:

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

Spike said:

Spike
True. It's funny how premature death and myth tend to deify and elevate certain people over and above their contemporaries. Not saying Robert Johson didn't deserve the accolades but as Spike points out so well, his story seems to stand out above that of his long-lived contemporaries.

It has all the makings of a great story, though.

H

halcyon days

Spike said:

Spike

true there are so many great blues guys from bb to buddy to muddy

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

Thought I'd share another tidbit I came across from my jazz/music guru:

The actual musician, that the Crossroad's story was first told about, was Tommy Johnson, who was another great Blues musician, and not Robert Johnson. It was later borrowed, for Johnson.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/delta/blues/p...mmy_johnson.htm

Tommy Johnson even makes it into the the Coen Brother's film O Brother, Where Art Thou?

He is the guitar player, who was waiting at the crossroads, that George Clooney and the two other inmates, pick up along the way.

The story about making a pact with the Devil goes all the way back to Saint Theophilus the Penitent aka Theophilus of Adana from the 6th Century.

Now what really makes this goofy story important, is also the first story that has the intercession of the Virgin Mary. This story would lead to a greater importance for her in the Church and Christianity.

It was also the main basis, for the Faust legend, which get's it's name from the 16th Century, Dr. Johann Georg Faust.

India_Blue

Geronimo's Gal
Reaction score

Music Wench said:

The actual musician, that the Crossroad's story was first told about, was Tommy Johnson, who was another great Blues musician, and not Robert Johnson. It was later borrowed, for Johnson.

Tommy Johnson even makes it into the the Coen Brother's film O Brother, Where Art Thou?

He is the guitar player, who was waiting at the crossroads, that George Clooney and the two other inmates, pick up along the way.

The story about making a pact with the Devil goes all the way back to Saint Theophilus the Penitent aka Theophilus of Adana from the 6th Century.

Now what really makes this goofy story important, is also the first story that has the intercession of the Virgin Mary. This story would lead to a greater importance for her in the Church and Christianity.

It was also the main basis, for the Faust legend, which get's it's name from the 16th Century, Dr. Johann Georg Faust.

:gmc: That's really interesting MW. Thanks for sharing that.
Just had to pick the GMC smilie. It kind of stands out! :p

H

halcyon days

Music Wench said:

cool story thanks for the 411 :=-: :bath:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online