Robert Johnson (Official Thread)

Mr Ace

The Monster's Boss
Reaction score
This Thread Is Dedicated To Legendary Bluesman Robert Johnson. Johnson Made 29 Songs In The 30's But Died In 1938 From Poisoning (Someone Laced His Whiskey With Either Poison Or Lye). There Was A Movie Called 'Crossroads' About Robert Johnson's 30th Song, But There Was No 30th Song. Robert Johnson's Career Was Cut Short Before He Even Had A Chance To Record More Songs.....RIP

ROBERT_J.GIF

Come In And Show Your Appreciation!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson

Riordan

GALLAGHER FAN
Reaction score
Re: The Official Robert Johnson Thread

:) Hes great!

im just gonna put on Contracted to The Deval!

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score

Good Music.
My only gripe is they way they double up the tracks on the 'complete Robert Johnson' which I listen to a LOT.

I guess I'm too lazy to go through and take 'em out.
guess I'll get around to that one of these days.
regardless, 'the complete robert johnson' is one of the biggest, pinkest Cadillac's in my music collection!

Wyldchild

Reaction score

I Love Robert Johnson, I Love the Blues Period:)

newdawnfades

Reaction score

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

Cool article. It would be a shame if the room where he recorded would be torn down for condos. I'm a huge believer in preserving history and this building should definitely be considered historic.

algernon

Reaction score

Lord knows I tried...but I just never "got" Robert Johnson.

newdawnfades

Reaction score

I think I get Robert Johnson, but the antiquated recording of his music means you have to do a little more work than usual. It's really important to judge him in the context of his time, and what other musicians were doing to figure out why his work was important. I still have to read up a bit more on it all, but there is a definite earthy, raw appeal to his music, at least for me.

India_Blue

Geronimo's Gal
Reaction score

I am heavily into the blues. Robert Johnson is my alltime favorite bluesman. I get chills when I hear his original recording of Love in Vain, recorded in the 1930s. Its a song the Rolling Stones later covered.
There is indeed a mystery surrounding him in regards to the song Crossroads. Its is legend that he supposedly sold his soul to the devil. That is what the song claims.
Also, he was quite a womanizer. It is said that he died when he left an open beer and some woman's husband put poison in it. Regardless of the urban legends about him, he is undoubtedly one of the greatest bluesman in history!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online