Robert Fripp(of King Crimson)quits the music business

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I always respect what Fripp has to say when it comes to the music business and he makes sense.

I can guarantee he's not the only legendary musician who feels this way either, the industry is dysfunctional victims of their own short-sightedness and avarice.

Abraxas

Reaction score
Aw man! :( I can definitely understand his reasons for quitting but I was hoping he'd give us at least one more Crimson album before retiring.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
What's futile about striving to make great music? It's his life I guess, so good luck to him.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Fripp has always been eccentric and possessive about his work so I guess this last corporate "seizure" of his music that he thought he had control over really pissed him off Coltrane2, at least that's how I read it.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
^^Fripp has always been eccentric and possessive about his work so I guess this last corporate "seizure" of his music that he thought he had control over really pissed him off Coltrane2, at least that's how I read it.

Yeah, I confess I hadn't properly read the article before the last comment. I can see how Kanye West's legal theft of his IP may have tipped him over the edge. A great talent anyway and those King Crimson albums will live on.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Fripp's career unfortunately has been in obscurity now for many years, nobody would have even known or realised that he'd quit if he hadn't released a statement saying that he was quitting, but at his peak he was a pretty seminal and influential figure, as well as a great guitarist, so he for sure left his mark on the rock music business. One of the more musically interesting and diverse and eclectic artists of our time, especially some of those collaborative albums that he made with people like Brian Eno, David Sylvian, Andy Summers, and David Bowie.... I even have a few of them. He surely must be in the Guinness Book of Records for the sheer number of projects he worked on either as a musician or producer.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Yeah, I confess I hadn't properly read the article before the last comment. I can see how Kanye West's legal theft of his IP may have tipped him over the edge. A great talent anyway and those King Crimson albums will live on.

The entire BS of "sampling" I find ridiculous. Famous musicians have literally spent millions and lost millions in court cases over plagiarism, and now in some genres taking someone else's beat/theme/song is accepted practice.:wtf:

TS I agree, despite Fripp's well known quirks he is a legend in rock music, and the list of people he's worked with over the years is impressive.

KingHeadache

Banned
Reaction score
I always respect what Fripp has to say when it comes to the music business and he makes sense.

I can guarantee he's not the only legendary musician who feels this way either, the industry is dysfunctional victims of their own short-sightedness and avarice.

So well said !!! :cheers2

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.