Richie Hayward R.I.P. (Little Feat Drummer)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Little Feat drummer and founding member Richie Hayward died last Thursday from complications surrounding liver cancer and pneumonia, which he had been battling since 2009. He was 64.

Playing the drums since he was a kid, Hayward was best known for his 40 years of playing in the California-based southern rock band. After auditioning for Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention then joining the short-lived Factory, Hayward formed Little Feat with keyboardist Bill Payne, bassist Roy Estrada and original frontman Lowell George in 1969.

After releasing their self-titled debut in 1971, the band made six more albums but split soon after George's death in 1979. They reformed in 1987 and recruited Craig Fuller as the lead vocalist. Hayward also recorded and performed with numerous musicians including Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Carly Simon, Tom Waits, John Cale, Peter Frampton and Robert Plant.

Hayward remained as a member of Little Feat up until 2009, when he was diagnosed with liver cancer. "[Richie's] hanging in there," guitarist Paul Barrere told Spinner in October. "He's trying to be as positive as possible. He's sad that he can't be on the road. One of us calls him at least once a day just to keep his spirits up."

Before Heyward passed away, his bandmates, fellow musicians and fans organized many fundraisers to offset his medical costs, since he had no health insurance. He gave his last live performance in July when he joined Little Feat at the Vancouver Island Music Festival.

yhpQ9.jpg
mvHoN.png

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
:rip:

Sad to loose another musician. My best wishes go out to Richie's family.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
What a great and unappreciated band Little Feat was. Sad news indeed but if he did play at the show on Vancouver Island at least that is a beautiful place, I lived there for 7 years myself.

RIP Richie.

Abraxas

Reaction score
Sad that he did'nt win his fight with cancer. R.I.P.

:(

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
:( Best Ever Dead gig I ever went to was The Dead with Little Feat supporting them in the early 1990's ! Great three day gig in Maine ! Camping.Partying it was sooo fun

Rest in peace POOR Richie !

freaking gd cancer !:mad

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online