Richard Wagner!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
How on earth did you Stumble into my Classical Section MP!!...:heheh:

Is no genre safe from your visitations.:D

I like Wagner, but only the Orchestral highlights of his massive Operas, and he was a major force in the advancement of the scale of classical music and the orchestras as well.

He would have been a Heavy Metal guitarist if he were born in the 70's I would bet my life on it.:guitar:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
How on earth did you Stumble into my Classical Section MP!!...:heheh:

Is no genre safe from your visitations.:D

I like Wagner, but only the Orchestral highlights of his massive Operas, and he was a major force in the advancement of the scale of classical music and the orchestras as well.

He would have been a Heavy Metal guitarist if he were born in the 70's I would bet my life on it.:guitar:

:spit: :grinthumb

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Lord Grendel said:

Yes, precisely my sentiments!

I don't have a copy of the "Flying Dutchman" though. I'll have to go out a get one. I have a Flying Dutchman collector plate though! I love those eighteenth and early nineteenth century sailing ships!

Attachments

• flying dutchman.jpg
    flying dutchman.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 53

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Great picture Hep, I have a big painting on my bedroom wall of a sailing ship.:tup:

I only have one of Wagner's CD's, I'll post my cover later I have to scan it first. I'll see if I can find the "Dutchmen" without words and give it a spin.D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Not meaning to derail my own thread here...but this has to happen...:lmao:

:oy:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
:lmao:...that is a great Bugs Bunny episode one of the all time best.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Almost impossible to follow Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, but here goes nothing...:D

I have two Wagner albums, unless you are an opera buff, then most of his compositions are not going to work for you. However for us die hard music fans many orchestral versions are available without singing, such as the album I am posting now.

Highlights from his most epic work, "The Ring Cycle".

I am sure you all are familiar with this song.

Here's another version from Apocalypse Now.

My copy I love the German title...lol.

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
It took me a while to get used to classically trained "operatic" singing, but it was worth it. It didn't take me quite as long to get used to the opera being sung in a foreign language (probably a good thing, because I've never liked operas that are in English).

Once you get past those hurdles, and assuming that you have a modicum of interest in classical music in the first place, the next thing to do is find a composer whose work you like well enough to really, really get into it. All composers have a recognizable "style"...just as you cannot mistake the Beatles when they come on the radio, so you should be able to recognize your favorite composer in the same way

As for me, I chose to focus on the work of Richard Wagner. More specifically his 4 opera cycle, "The Ring of the Nibelung". It's a sprawling and intimidating piece of music and requires a lot of attention. But little by little you start to get a feel for it. The way the vocal melody lines play with the orchestra, they interact to a degree you won't find often in other operas. The way Wagner conjures up darkness and gravity through his music. The recurring themes (called motifs) that are designed to help tell the story through musical symbolism. As for those vocal melodies, they are everywhere and rarely repeat themselves, so you have more of a running dialogue rather than a collection of songs. As such, I don't recommend "without words" recordings for anyone who wants to get really serious with the music. The casual listener will find much to enjoy in the instrumental releases, but if you're gonna go for the gusto you have to skip to the real meat and potatoes, no matter how difficult it may seem or how sure you are that you won't like it. You might be surprised.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online