Richard Marx (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Richard Marx
Richard+Marx+mn.jpg

Here's a guy I think is a darkhorse when it comes to great singer songwriters in the adult contemporary scene. He wrote a ton of hits through the 80's and 90's and had a great mix of rock tracks as well as ballads. He's managed to still release music as well as write successful songs for others to this day. honestly, my mom got me into Richards music and I reluctantly listened to it until my music taste in general matured and now I think that Richards music is great. I think I first respected his writing when the ambiguous story of Hazard was a hit on the radio and it was a darker avenue for him in general. Other than that, I think Right Here Waiting may be one of the most timeless, gorgeous radio ballads ever and Children of the Night is a moving 90's time capsule!

Here are the Richard tracks I dig most:

Hazard

Right Here Waiting

Children of the Night

Take This Heart

One of the reasons I did this thread besides liking his past work was discovering he had a new c.d. out called

Emotional Remains
514lF%2BRLhhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I really like this song off of it:

Better or Worse

Hope any potential fans here get to enjoy the opportunity to talk about his music! :grinthumb

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Richard Marx Thread

Interestingly, "Right Here Waiting" was at #1 the day I was born.

When I learned this, I listened closely.
And I found it was a beautiful song. Richard Marx's music is the kind of stuff you wish someone would write for you.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

You are right and what's beautiful about it is it's actually written for his wife in a marriage that is actually still active. It's nice to see love songs for something that isn't fleeting. I also read that at the time of the ballad a lot of the ballads were power ballads and it was a conscious choice to go against the grain and make the song simple with just vocals and guitar. :grinthumb

Fever

Reaction score

I like this one

Jon Walmsley, who played Jason Walton on the tv show The Waltons, played guitar on Marx's Repeat Offender album

Also like this one

Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

I love this song! It's the unofficial OUR song for my guy and me.

Richard Marx wrote from his heart and he knows how difficult relationships are,especially long distance ones. He being a musician and his wife an actress..but I respect him for managing the delicate balances of trust and affection that is important.

6 hour time differences, career commitments, children, etc like to distract you but in the end it's worth it all for the right person... :sigh:

anyway lol...I love his music.:cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

All good song contributions but I particularly love Hold On To The Night and I can't believe I forgot to include it! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I really like the Rush Street material the best I think!

99_h-2008-11-16-125917.jpg

I'm liking the vibe of this non single track right now! What a great sounding vocalist! :grinthumb

Your World

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Screw it! I'm in a mood!

Here's another track:

Surrender To Me Feat. Lara Fabian
(a great ballad, the fact that Lara Fabian is a singer who resembles Celine Dion vocally it's a credit to Richards writing and presence that this song didn't stink up the joint) :heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online