Ric Ocasek (Official Thread)

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Perhaps more visually recognizable than simply by his name, Ric Ocasek is quite a fascinating specimen of musical genius.

7903398_7817bfa8a6.jpg

Official Website

Solo albums

Beatitude (1982 Geffen Records)
This Side of Paradise (1986 Geffen Records)
Fireball Zone (1991 Reprise Records)
Quick Change World 1993
Negative Theater 1993
Getchertikitz 1996
Troublizing 1997
Nexterday 2005

Towering over most onlookers at 6'4", he's a willowy man with an eerily perfect smile. Most people remember him as one of the lead vocalists for new wave group The Cars; the vision of Ric's large black sunglasses framing his equally large ebony hair (and Adam's apple - gulp!) is forever burned into popular 80s culture.

He was born Richard Otcasek, on March 23rd, 1949 in Baltimore, Maryland. As a kid, he was an alter boy; his talents were fostered further by his grandmother, who bought him his first guitar at age 10. One of his greatest noted heroes is Buddy Holly; Ric became bored with the guitar quite quickly, though his knowledge of the instrument would prove to be just enough when he picked up writing in his adolescence. Because his father was a computer analyst for NASA, Ric had a tendency to hang around the types of kids who focused on their academics, and electronics of that time.

When Ric was 16, NASA moved the Otcasek family to Cleveland, Ohio. Unfortunately he wasn't very popular there; trends from his hometown of Baltimore were strikingly different than those in the midwest - imagine Ric with blonde hair (which, he has noted in a few interviews, he was "punched in the face on the very first day" for).

He also attended Bowling Green University (Ohio), and Antioch College (a liberal arts-oriented school also in Ohio). Both of these schools were located near Columbus, Ohio, very much south from where he attended high school. It was in Columbus where he met bassist Benjamin Orr, whom he got on well with almost immediately. Ben joined Ric in his band at the time, called Richard and the Rabbits.

They soon saw that success was not evident in Columbus, and headed for New York instead. Unsatisfied, Ric relocated to Boston; in time he convinced Ben to follow, because he had a good feeling about this one. It was in Boston that they teamed up with guitarist Jas Goodkind in a folk trio called Milkwood; they were fortunate enough to release one LP (which is now very difficult to find), "How's the Weather?" in 1972, on the Paramount label. This record featured lyrical prowess from both Ric and Ben; unfortunately it was largely unsuccessful.

In 1976, Ric met future Cars guitarist Elliot Easton in Boston. During this time Ric had formed a band called Cap'n Swing (I have a few demos from this band if anyone wants them, by the way). After another failed attention-seeking journey to New York, Ric, Ben, and Elliot headed back to Boston. Future Cars keyboardist Greg Hawkes, who had previously turned his nose up at Ric and the boys, decided to take another chance; Ric recruited drummer David Robinson, and his most commercially successful project (to-date) was created: The Cars.

Ric wrote the majority of The Cars' debut album, which was a smash in the States, climbing to #18 on the album charts for 139 weeks. The album's most popular single, "Just What I Needed" charted at #27 in the States, and #17 in the UK. Occasionally Ric shared vocals with Ben, and lyrical input with Greg.

(Below: Ric accepts MTV's "Best Video of the Year" award for 1984's "You Might Think" - god he's beautiful, yeah?)

1984_bestvideooftheyear_01.jpg

Ric would go on to record 6 albums with The Cars from 1978 to 1987; during this time he also released two solo albums: "Beatitude" (1982; also featured Greg Hawkes on keyboards) and "This Side of Paradise" (1986; also featured The Cars sans David Robinson, with Tears for Fears vocalist Roland Orzabal).

(Below, Ric's "Keep On Laughin'" single from "This Side of Paradise")

During the recording of The Cars' 5th album, Heartbeat City, in 1984, Ric met Czech model/actress Paulina Porizkova, who starred in their video for "Drive" (which reached #3 on the US charts that year). During this time he was married to his second wife, Suzanne. In 1989, Ric and Paulina were married; she was 19, and he was 35 (they're still together today). In total Ric has had three wives; from each wife he has two sons, his eldest two belonging to a woman named Cynthia.

(Below: Ric, and the most beautiful woman in the whole entire world.)

ric_ocasek_2182504.jpg

In 1988 he made a cameo appearance in the cult classic production of broadway musical "Hairspray" as a strung out beatnik; a year before that he had also played a mechanic in the film "Made in Heaven".

Ric has recorded a total of 8 solo albums, two of which have become increasingly difficult to find. These albums being "Negative Theatre" (which was originally sought after as a poetry book, circa 1993; this album has never been commercially released outside of the UK, and typically bootlegged) and the risque, druggy but equally coveted "Getchertiktz" (1996). His latest album, "Nexterday" was released in 2005; it is rumoured that one of the songs from this record, "Silver" was written for his friend, Ben, who passed away from pancreatic cancer in 2000.

Ric has also produced a myriad of popular bands, from the 1970s to modern day, such as Suicide, Romeo Void, Bad Brains, Weezer, Fountains of Wayne, Nada Surf, No Doubt, The Killers, Le Tigre, and The Pink Spiders. He co-produced his 1997 release "Troublizing" with Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan.

Through the years Ric has dabbled with other forms of creative expression, most passionately his love for art. In 2009 a gallery of his works opened in Columbus, Ohio, featuring photo collages, drawings, paintings, and other forms of visual media created by Mr. Ocasek. His content with this is understandable; in 2005 he reportedly told Rockline that he greatly disliked touring, and didn't plan on doing it again anytime soon.

Interestingly, Ric has appeared on the Colbert Report twice; once to share his dismay for Todd Rundgren's shameful production of The New Cars, and again to support Paulina during her appearance on the show in 2007. Stephen is a humble fan of Ric (and his lovely wife Paulina) and often references the two of them on his program.

I personally don't expect a whole lot more to come from Mr. Ocasek (who currently resides in New York City); from my point of view he seems to be going through a rather dormant time, though I'd love to see him release just a few more records before time catches up with him.

A few videos for your enjoyment:

A little bit of strictly personal input regarding my adoration for Ric Ocasek: this guy's been one of my best influences for writing style since I was just a little girl; I may always think he's gorgeous inside and out - two of his albums I have on vinyl (for the others are either digital-only, or too scarce for my liking); it's quite a fright whenever a brand new photograph comes along. It reminds me, and his other fans, that nobody lives forever.

When he passes away it will be a sad day for me, and many others, indeed. Until then, this guy rocks a huge chunk of my musical world, and always will.

Photos/comments/videos/other input to this thread would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: The Official Ric Ocasek thread.

Hey, it's cool to see a thread just for Rics solo work! My Ric solo albums actually outnumbers my Cars ones. I have the Gars greatest hits but in college during the radio station their always gave out free c.d.s. I picked up both

Quick Change World
9923e893e7a0aff319a15110.L.jpg

Troublizing
51Z5BAWJE5L._SS500_.jpg

I was so excited when I found out Billy Corgan worked with him on Troublizing! The pairing makes sense in my opinion. Two eccentric creative forces known for vocals styles that were an acquired taste!

Anyway, the three tracks that Billy contributed both guitar and vocals are
Crashland Consequence
Situation
People We Know

Unfortunately, I can't find the tracks anywhere online! :(

Oh, and great thread Lady! :grinthumb

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

I think at some point I had all those albums in digital format, but couldn't tell you where I jacked them from. I've been a fan of his ever since I was a little girl, if that gives you any idea how long ago it was, haha.

I just think he's really fantastic. I once heard an interview with him, and Ben, from the mid-80s, and he was talking about how wonderful and precious he sees women as. It just melted my heart; he doesn't seem like a typical man at all. He's not boorish or piggish or uneducated; a longtime friend of mine and I were going to make the pilgrimage to his art exhibit last year but found that our schedules collided. He has a gorgeous speaking voice; most people I've met have told me that they find his singing voice really annoying or intolerable - I don't understand this; I love it so much because it's so freaking weird, and awkwardly charming.

Damn it, he's just great.

We could have potentially met our wonderful hero. Not only is his songwriting completely unique, bizarre, and just plain incredible; he's also no stranger to the synthesizer, bass guitar, and (I think but I might be mistaken) drums. Such a talent. It's a shame he hides in the shadows so much, but you know, I think that's the way he likes it.

Thanks, by the way.

Sometimes I get in these impressive writing moods, and you just never know what's gonna come out of them.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Very nicely done Lady.:clap:

I didn't even know he put out some solo albums...and you are right that last picture sure shows his age, but that is part of life nothing to be sad about it happens to us all.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.