Rhinoceros (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
rhino5.jpg

Thought I would dig up a cool band for everybody to check out. I used to buy alot of wierd and wild stuff as a kid and this is no exception. In fact this is something I love more every year as I got older and to this day find more affection with each passing year.

rhinopromo3.jpg

On Elektra records the band made three albums.

firstalbum.jpg

satin.jpg

better.jpg

I have the last two and the second one SATIN CHICKENS was the album that I bought when I was a kid.

The line up consisted of ...

JOHN FINLEY – Vocals
ALAN GERBER – Vocals.Piano
DANNY WEIS – Guitar, Piano
DOUG HASTINGS – guitar
MICHAEL FONFARA – Organ, Piano
PETER HODGSON – Bass
BILLY MUNDI – Drums, Percussion

Read their interesting story at the bands Official website here!!

RHINOCEROS WEBSITE

The band's reunion 2009 doing Monkey Man

Here is a great live clip from 1970, Better Times are Coming

Many may remember their big instrumental hit APRICOT BRANDY

rhinobot.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: Rhinoceros

Given the respect you have for this band MP I think I am gonna have to give them another try. It was years ago when I bought "Satin Chickens" and from the off I was at a loss, maybe I should have stuck with it as my tastes have broadened over the years. :grinthumb

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Good band! I have one of their LPs and am keeping an eye out for the other two.

The fellows reassembled last year to tour. Here they are performing their biggest radio hit:

:****:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Through Amazon Sox...you can get the second (Satin Chickens) and their third album for one price. The original back cover for Satin Chickens is also included. :grinthumb

61klC4YmHrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The first album can be bought by itself. Again check Amazon. :grinthumb

416NT8BQ21L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Excellent, Cheers MP I'll take a look ... the wish list just keeps on growing. :D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

If it makes you feel better I was sort of "meh" when I first got Satin Chickens...then it grew on me...when it came out digital it was like heaven. Cool memories. I thought I was the only person in the world to own that record. :heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Hey man, just routed through all the material here and I understand why you would recommend this band after hearing Affinity's "Three Sisters". I particularly here that type of groove in "Better Times" also in 1970. The difference for me is that Affinity goes in a more thought out direction and these guys go in a more jammy, repeat the groove direction. Don't mind it but it's not what I prefer. :)

Questions:

Is it me or does it look like an older Robin Williams singing particularly in the first vid? :heheh:

Is this a band preferred live as the studio stuff seems mostly absent. The song quality is solid in these live transfers but I wonder how they rate on an actual album in your opinion. :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I added a new video above your post here, that you may have not seen. I added it I think while you were looking. They area bit more jammy. A bit of psychedelic stuff as well. :grinthumb

Robin Williams :heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online