RETRO, Heavy Psych, Metal and Prog .......

joe

Reaction score
I just discovered this band a few months ago. Astra from San Diego, California released thier first album last year titled The Weirding, a heavy prog/ psych/space rock endeavor. With out a doubt 'retro' can be heard on this album, heavily influenced by Pink Floyd and King Crimson, with elements of Hawkwind, Camel, and Eloy.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Spirirual-beggars-Return-To-Zero-jpg.jpg

1994 Spiritual Beggars
1996 Another Way to Shine
1998 Mantra III
2000 Ad Astra
2002 On Fire
2005 Demons
2010 Return to Zero

SPIRITUAL BEGGARS is a hard rock/stoner metal band from Halmstad, Sweden, formed by Michael Amott, who is well known in the metal underground due to his other bands Arch Enemy, Carcass and Carnage.
Although Michael Amott is primarily known for his Death Metal guitar virtuosity
he started this band to showcase his love for old school proto pioneers such as Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. Despite an inability to retain a steady vocalist these guys remain my favorite "stoner" band.
I have all their albums other then the S/T, Another Way to Shine and On Fire. I plan to get all 3 soon. A video from each of the CD I own....

joe

Reaction score
^^^:grinthumb

35007 from the Netherlands is a space/psychedelic/stoner, mostly instrumental and experimental. Pink Floyd Meddle era with Hawkwind and some post-rock elements of sludge similar to Pelican and thier proxies.

Liquid from 2002 is a concept album of water and it's manifestations. Crushing soundscapes and atmospheric textures are mind blowing.

Imagine and visualize.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
img23_errny_plazerna.jpg

STANDARTE, Formed in Pisa, Toscana, Italy, is an Italian band that has brought back a previously long-dead 70's style, that being the majestic organ-heavy hard rock of so many European rock groups of the time. All records consist of basically the same kind of music: symphonic progressive, other times jazzy, funky and/or bluesy, and quite often psychedelic. The songs differ a little, but the sound and the style stay the same.

1995 Standarte
1996 Curses and Invocations
1998 Stimmung

joe

Reaction score
earthless-300x300.jpg

Rhythms From A Cosmic Sky(2007) by Earthless has it all. Heavy psych, blues and boogie, power riffs, speed metal, space rock all "jammed" into pure power and intensity.

"INCOMING!!!!"

Sabbath, Hendrix, Cream, Flower Travelling Band, Groundhogs are all in this megaton payload.

Three albums and one EP to thier credit in the last half of this decade. Fantastic "retro" packaging on this gatefold CD. A bombshell cover version of the Groundhogs "Cherry Red".

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
2493139-45209495.jpg

WITCH :
Witch is an American stoner band formed in 2005.They released two albums:their debut self-titled album "Witch" 2006, and their second album "Paralyzed" 2008. They have an obvious influence in their music by earlier era Black Sabbathand have been described as a cross between Witchcraft and Electric Wizard. The S/T album has that early 70's heavy fuzz sound down pact to the point that you can almost see the orange amplifiers blasting out their evil sabbathy vibe. The second album is much more psychedelic sounding but still retains that doomy atmosphere .....

2006 Witch
2008 Paralyzed

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online