RETRO, Heavy Psych, Metal and Prog .......

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
cfrev.jpg

FALCON : West Hills, California, These guys came to my attention through one of my favorite Doom Metal bands, Pale Divine. After reading that one the members of said Doom band had join forces with an Ex Cirith Ungol member ( another favorite and home town hero's) to form a late 60's, early 70's, inspire heavy psych / metal band, I hunted down both albums on a blind buy. Both the S/T debut and the sophomore release, Die Wontcha, kick some major ass \m/

a snip it from their Myspace :

Falcon is a raw late 1960s/early 1970s style heavy rock power trio. Falcon was founded by Los Angeles area guitarist/vocalist Perry Grayson (ex-Destiny's End) and bassist/keyboardist Greg Lindstrom (Cirith Ungol) in 2002. Drummer Darin McCloskey (Pennsylvania's Pale Divine) came into the fold in 2003.

Read more: Falcon on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Home page
Falcon

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I tried going to their myspace...it got all jacked up when I tried listening to different songs (selecting them)...some over distorted song was playing...I paused the player ..the song was still going...:oyea:

I checked through all the comments on the first page to see if someone left a music player comment...nope...

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
It played fine for me when I was there.

EDIT: Went back and listened to all the tracks again. No over distortion, no problems at all.

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
^^^A lot great stuff I've never heard. All have that 70's vibe.

Beardfish from Sweden is an eclectic prog artist with five albums released over the last decade. Influences are Zappa, Camel, Gentle Giant, Yes, amongst others. Some excellent sounding 70's riffs combined with the symphonic sound and a bit of experimentation thrown in as well. Fun stuff. Sleeping In Traffic: Part II is one of the best prog releases of the past decade IMO.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
nucleus.gif

ANEKDOTEN : They're a Swedish progressive rock band that plays a vintage brand of symphonic prog with touches of progressive metal to be heard through out Their origins is definitely 70's based as they began life as a King Crimson tribute band. Apart from (Starless/Red-era) King Crimson, I'm also reminded of Gnidrolog (especially Lady Lake). Pink Floyd is also more then a probable contributor in influence to their sound .

1993 Vemod
1995 Nucleus
1998 Official Bootleg: Live in Japan
1999 From Within
2003 Gravity
2005 Waking the Dead, Live in Japan 2005
2007 A Time of Day

I own their CDs from 1993 to 1999, thinking about getting the rest.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
1139_logo.jpg

PAGAN ALTAR : A UK Doom metal band formed in '78 who incorporate their Black Sabbath worship into a laid back, slightly more subtle style of heavy having more in common with 70's proto-metal then the bands of the NWOBHM scene that they originally emerged with. After releasing one self-titled debut in 1982 they broke up only to return in 2004 to pick up where they had left off.

1982 Pagan Altar
2004 The Lords of Hypocrisy
2006 Mythical & Magical
2010 Never Quite Dead

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online