RETRO, Heavy Psych, Metal and Prog .......

joe

Reaction score
Ya, I tend to agree with you. I'd tag it as 'new wave prog'. Some of it is just unlistenable for me. Awful.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
BWR040.jpg

NORTWINDS:

Formed in 1990, Paris, Île-de-France, France, these guy make music that mixes influences from their 70's progressive rock heroes ( Black Widow etc. ) and Doom Metal but especially the grand fathers of doom ,gloom and destruction, Black Sabbath. They actually lift a couple of Sabbath riffs and put them ( sparingly not a main piece of the song ) in a couple songs on their first CD however the way that they mix it into the
music structure it is more of a homage then a riff off and you definitely can not call them a copy cat band as this is way too psychedelic and proggy to be a Sabbath rip off. On their last two albums they abandon the homage paying and strike out on their own completely. The odd Sabbath riff here or there or not ...these guys are awesome

1998 Great God Pan

2001 Masters of Magic

2006 Chimères

Last edited:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
As some of you may have noticed this thread has been moved into the Users Journal section. Everyone is still free to contribute bands of a Retro 70's vibe

Any bands that you hear a strong 70's influence in the mix and is of a rocking nature ( prog or otherwise ) are welcome .However ,please keep it to the topic of this thread which is modern era bands that are strongly rooted in the old school.

This is not a discussion thread so please keep the comments to a couple posts here and there and no long on going discussions ( especially off topic ) that derail the thread into going off course into off topic subject matters such as genre debates , genre definitions, sub-genre vs. sub-genre etc etc .

This is also not a personal recommendations threads. If you have a desire to discuss these matters or ask for recs I suggest doing so in the appropriate sections and threads.

That said this thread is now open to all fans of this musical style to continue
posting bands and discussion of said bands. I want to thank all those who have stayed within the topic for their efforts thus far. :grinthumb

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
sword-logo.jpg

Check out this retro,stoner, doom metal band along the lines of Sabbath...a bit more simplistic than the real thing...these cats from Austin Texas not only cite Sabbath as an influence but Zeppelin and Blue Cheer as well!

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
tame-impala.jpg

I may have already posted them elsewhere, but Tame Impala are Australia's premier Psychadelic band doing the rounds. Their sound is very influenced by Cream, and the distortion is heavy and fuzzy, which makes for a delicious result. They have a couple of EP's floating about and their debut album, "Innerspeaker" was released a few months ago:

tame_impala_innerspeaker1.jpg

Leading single:

Most famous song:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
french_rockets_by_Ben_Butchervz4r6U.jpg

I'm hosting a double shot of Psych for today! French Rockets are another Australian Psychedelic band, but they're a lot more obscure. They have one album which has now unfortunately been discontinued and have just released a vinyl only split single with obscure experimental/electronic band Injured Ninja. And here it is, "1x1":

(Yes, it's an 8 minute single in this day and age, believe it :heheh:)

Also, a live performance of one of their epics, "Radiance":

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Good stuff guys :grinthumb

This thread may end up costing me money too ,Joe haha

I think I shall hold off for a while on my next post and let readers listen
to the new stuff before continuing on.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
presence.jpg

PRESENCE : Another progressive rock band hailing from Italy they incorporate everything from Led Zeppelin, a bit of Italian opera ,prog rock influences from the 70's, and even an almost metal guitar sound. The keyboards are not vintage hammond swirls but more symphonic, atmospheric, and classically influenced. The lead vocals are female and excellent and as previously stated somewhat operatic in nature as so many things Italian are.

There are many guitar solos featured through out their discography and there are also omnipresent dark keyboards that are quite dramatic and that it is also the case for the numerous piano parts. The videos being showcased below are all from their heaviest and latest album Evil Rose, not by my choice but because there are no others up loaded at youtube. My favorite is actually The Black Opera , which is more of a ,you guessed it, dark progressive rock opera. Gold has more acoustic bits worked into the song structures and is also quite good. Every album a winner, IMO.

1992 Makumba
1995 The Sleeper Awakes
1996 Black Opera
2000 Gold
2002 The Sleeper Awakes + Live (2CD)........ Features a Live CD w/ a live version of Zepp's Kashmir
2008 Evil Rose

Singer Sophya Baccini's myspace page
[email protected] <[email protected]>

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
logo.jpg

These 4 musicians make up this great retro stoner band from Cincinnati !! Got the whole Sabbath vibe down....cool tunes,dark groovy riffs and retro production value...it's the doomy side of the 70's with these cats!!

fireball-ministry-400ak060710.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online