RETRO, Heavy Psych, Metal and Prog .......

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Well, since this thread is easy for me to locate and there seems to be some interest in this stuff...which I love BTW, I shall carry on...

1000x1000.jpg

JESS AND THE ANCIENT ONES ~ S/T debut ...

Heavy Psych outfit from Finland, another Nordic band drench in the sonic sound vibrations of those acid soaked daze known as the 70's.

Formed 2010 Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo, Finland

Members: Jess (vocals), Thomas Corpse (guitar), Thomas Fiend (guitar, backing vocals),
Von Stroh (guitar), Fast Jake (bass), Abraham (keyboard), Yussuf (drums, percussion)

Got this beautifully crafted vinyl release in the mail a few days back and I'm really loving
everything about it

Last edited:

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Cool sound and cool album art! Favourite from the four posted is Ghost Riders. That last track was quite a surprise, a lot different to the others but I like it :)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Cool sound and cool album art! Favourite from the four posted is Ghost Riders. That last track was quite a surprise, a lot different to the others but I like it :)

Yeah, the cover art was what made me look into them on youtube in the first place. Great looking album cover.

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
Howdy guys, first post here. Read through this entire thread, & just had to join. So many badass bands in one single topic, I've gotten into more than a dozen just by reading it. :grinthumb

Anyway, here's my contributions.

3753299.jpg

The Heavy Eyes

A Stoner band from Memphis, TN. They remind me heavily of 70's Pentagram, or early The Sword. They've released one, EP in '10, & their debut album in '11. One of my favorite newer Stoner bands, along with Sweden's Graveyard.

000d1316_medium.jpeg

Sheavy

Another Stoner band, from St Johns, Canada. I don't think it's possible to sound more like Ozzy-Sabbath than this, unless you were to go straight to the real thing. The early materal's pretty much pure Vol. 4 worship, to the point that one of their demos was an infamous Sabbath fake back in the Napster/Limewire days. Over time they've evolved & taken on their own sound, but considering they're fronted by the closest Ozzy clone there is, that comparison will always be there.

And finally...

squackett-1.jpg
Squackett

A new band born of the collaboration between Ex-Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett, & Chris Squire of Yes. The end result sounds quite different from what you might expect, with some numbers like the title track sounding more like something Led Zeppelin would come up with. One of the best Prog 'supergroups' I've heard yet.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
What an excellent 1st post Malicarcanum !! :cheers2 The bands you have highlighted are pure class....The Heavy Eyes [ ...A new name to me , impressive :grinthumb]
As for SHEAVY breathtaking !! Like hearing TROUBLEs debut album again:grinthumb. Agreed your mans vocals are SO Ozzy its scary!!
I like the sound of SQUACKETT too, got to admit the name of the band/collaboration is abysmal......YESASIS would have been as bad :heheh:

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
Thanks, glad you liked it. I agree about Squackett's name. A bad choice. The sweet sounds more than make up for it, though.

The next few bands I'm going to post I've only recently found, so I'm not as knowledgable of them or their backcatalogues.

Brutus

Another 70's style band, from Norway. Wouldn't quite call them Stoner though. Even more moreso than the 2 previous, this band's style reminds me heavily of that dirty, Bluesy Proto-Metal like early Pentagram & Sabbath's first 2. I'd forgotten about them until today, & immediately regretted it upon rediscovering them.

Heaven+is+Gone++png.png

Seventh Void

An American band formed from the ashes of Type O Negative, fronted by Kenny Hickey from the aforementioned band. Has a sound most describe as Sabbath combined with the heavier elements of early Soundgarden, which I would agree with.

Slo Burn

Another band formed out of the ashes of another, this time Kyuss. Led by John Garcia, they sound quite similar to Kyuss, but with a bit of a more old school, stripped down vibe to them. They only released one album in the late 90's before disbanding.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Howdy guys, first post here. Read through this entire thread, & just had to join. So many badass bands in one single topic, I've gotten into more than a dozen just by reading it. :grinthumb

Anyway, here's my contributions.

3753299.jpg

The Heavy Eyes

A Stoner band from Memphis, TN. They remind me heavily of 70's Pentagram, or early The Sword. They've released one, EP in '10, & their debut album in '11. One of my favorite newer Stoner bands, along with Sweden's Graveyard.

000d1316_medium.jpeg

Sheavy

Another Stoner band, from St Johns, Canada. I don't think it's possible to sound more like Ozzy-Sabbath than this, unless you were to go straight to the real thing. The early materal's pretty much pure Vol. 4 worship, to the point that one of their demos was an infamous Sabbath fake back in the Napster/Limewire days. Over time they've evolved & taken on their own sound, but considering they're fronted by the closest Ozzy clone there is, that comparison will always be there.

And finally...

squackett-1.jpg
Squackett

A new band born of the collaboration between Ex-Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett, & Chris Squire of Yes. The end result sounds quite different from what you might expect, with some numbers like the title track sounding more like something Led Zeppelin would come up with. One of the best Prog 'supergroups' I've heard yet.

Great post, love that band sHeavy, they are excellent, thanks:)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread and forum, Malikarcanum :grinthumb

Picked up the Brutus CD about a week ago and really liking that Squakett track
will be looking into them soon. Glad you are enjoying the thread and happy to have another fellow traveler join our ranks :cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online