1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Record Guide

Discussion in 'Rock Lounge' started by Hurdy Gurdy Man, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Hurdy Gurdy Man

Hurdy Gurdy Man Senior Member

Does anyone enjoy consulting the Rolling Stone Record Guide for much reference?I'm waiting for a used 1990's print to arrive from Amazon that was either entirely written or edited by renown music critic Anthony DeCurtis.Used to keep a copy handy throughout most of the 80's and early 90's.......................

2. PHILLK

PHILLK Junior Member

I still collect record guides/Encyclopdedias, etc., Rolling Stone, Vox, NME, Trouser Press, Virgin, basically any and all reviews or guides.

Sure, the internet has made these books somewhat obsolete, but I enjoy having a reference library on the shelves.

My favourite are the editions of the International Encyclopedia of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal by Tony Jasper and Derek Oliver.

3. joe

joe Senior Member

I have the first three editions. There wasn't much media back then about record reviews. I've gone through the 2nd. edition hundreds of times back in the day. The main contributor was Dave Marsh who was know for his hate of heavy metal and Yes. Other contributors also had a hate for heavy metal, hard rock and heavy psych. Uriah Heep, Sabbath, Hawkwind, Rush, etc. were just ridiculed. Here's a couple of examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

doswizard likes this.
  4. Lynch

Lynch I'm just here for the cookies!

The shitbags the run and work for Rolling Stone Mag are just that, shitbags. They couldn't find water if they fell out of a boat. They wouldn't know talent if it bit them in the ass. They're so dumb, they'd sell the car to get gas money.

Seriously, this is the nicest shit I can say about them. If a Rolling Stone editor was standing on the street corner and someone came by and set them on fire, I wouldn't piss on them to put it out. The most idiotic rag mag in the history of music. Teen Beat got more things right than Rolling Stone did.

They are good for one thing though, that is, if you feel like overspending on paper to shred to put on the bottom of your hamster cage.

5. Lynch

Lynch I'm just here for the cookies!

Yeah, Dave Marsh was/is the epitome of why I have zero respect for the rag mag. Was just looking through some stuff on Black Sabbath online, ended up somehow on Marsh's wikipedia page and saw this quote. If this doesn't let you know what a clueless bastard the guy is, I don't know what will:

6. Hurdy Gurdy Man

Hurdy Gurdy Man Senior Member

I for one feel that the Rolling Stone guides have always been hard on the Moody Blues' catalog.Apparently,if the editors involved in just about all editions had their way,the combo would NEVER have gotten into the hall of fame.Incomprehensible to me how they can downplay the band's obviously sizeable contributions towards the advent of prog rock.Just the pairing of the Moodies with the London Symphony Orchestra alone was certainly monumental achievement...at least for it's time..........

doswizard likes this.