Real Classic Rock Songs

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I've decided it's time to start a thread that handles strictly "Classic Rock" songs.

So I'm banning any video's that have nothing to do with the term Classic Rock because it seems like so many on here stay with the old familiars most of the time..

Don't get me wrong I like Zeppelin, The Beatles, Rush, all the ones who get mentioned by so called Classic Rock fans, but there were so many true bands that need there light in this forum.
I'm talking deep cut's that never made it on the radio and songs that should have been there.

And NO just because you think anything that is 20 years old when it comes to a song does not in my book mean it's classic!!

So all you old dawgs post away!!

I think this forum needs a upgrade so that we can get back to bands that really are about how classic rock came to be.

After spinning some albums over the weekend I'll add some songs that bring back Classic rock to me..

Three Dog Night / Easy To Be Hard

Electric Prunes / I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night

Bad Company / Deal With The Preacher

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I think this is a healthy thread to have. If you follow the rule of thumb for cars then something becomes a "classic" after 30 years, but if you go with a text book definition of "classic" though then you're looking at something that has been "judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind", which if you ask me sounds very stale. I mean, if you go to a bar and always buy top shelf alcohol then yeah, it'll be the best but do you really appreciate it as much after drinking only that for 30, 40, or 50+ years? I don't think so. That how you get the sorry state of affairs that classic rock radios stations are in where they only play 2 songs per artist, spare the 6 biggest bands where they'll play between 6 and 10 songs by then, and their playlist is comprised of a loop of 500 songs. When the greatest artists and songs of all time reach that point of becoming novel and overplayed they're impact has been lost or at the very least dulled. So I think a little variety is very healthy to stop the older tunes from getting too dusty. :)

Here some some glam rock tracks that I love that get buried under the likes of Bowie, T. Rex, Sweet, and Slade.

Girls, Girls, Girls- Sailor

Morning Star Ship- Jobriath

Sugar Baby Love- The Rubettes

Axe Victim- Bebop Deluxe

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Bad Company / Deal With The Preacher

Great track! :bow: It's too bad that classic rock radio doesn't dig a little deeper when it comes to Bad Co songs. Seems that almost every station has 1 Bad Company album in their collection (10 From 6) which is an awesome collection of 10 great Bad Co tracks, but they had SO much more.

bugara1

Reaction score
One of the greatest classic rock songs...

Don't get me wrong I like Zeppelin, The Beatles, Rush, all the ones who get mentioned by so called Classic Rock fans, but there were so many true bands that need there light in this forum.
I'm talking deep cut's that never made it on the radio and songs that should have been there.

Does that mean that we can't post the greatest classic rock song, Stairway to heaven?

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'll venture out here with some non-staples that I think stand out! I'm still not sure if they reach your criteria Slip N' but I'm sure you'll let me know otherwise! :heheh:

I really dig this Jazz Pop one off! They released an album in 1970 and have a great jammy feel and vocalist! They have a Jefferson Airplane vibe! :grinthumb

Affinity (Three Sisters, Night Flight, All Along The Watchtower & I Wonder If I Care As Much)

Journey isn't an obscure name but I don't think the early more progressive sounding version of the band with Greg Rolie gets enough credit! I LOVE this track! :grinthumb

Journey-Of A Lifetime

We all know that rock started with the Blues and rock pretty much added showmanship to Blues music! Here's a very talented lady that definitely influenced everyone from Elvis on by combining both!

Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Didn't It Rain & This Train)

I also enjoy the combination of rock, psychedelia and classical that Curved Air had! :grinthumb

Curved Air-Vivaldi

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Nice to see some posting going on.
Cosmic.. Ya the glam scene hit heavy in Southern Cal where I grew up with Edgar Winters "They Only Come Out At Night" LP
edgar.jpg

It was a shocker album cover since most rock bands wore trippy hippy clothes and had long hair and to see a famous musician with make up and jewelry was something different. Of course T-Rex with Bang A Gong was also a big hit in So. Cal.

Thanks Jet and Bugari for two classics and Good tune by Dylan and Smoke on the water was the first song every kid learned if they got a guitar for xmas!!:grinthumb

Soot!! The Journey album I have and I'm one to like the Pre Steve Perry journey day's.
The Affinity songs, I like the first one but that's a really bad cover of "All Along The Watchtower" :wtf:
As for the soulfull lady, I've seen you post her before.
Most rock in the 60 and 70's was influenced by blues artist from the early years..

But there are more jewels out there that would bring back good memory's for some..
Thanks again for contributing :grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
When you hear the name "Steppenwolf" you think right away about the songs,
Born To Be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride, The Pusher, but oh lordy.. Steppenwolf reeks of great Rock and Roll and they have a huge amount of songs that didn't get much radio time.

Ball Crusher / Steppenwolf

Foggy Mental Breakdown

Jupiter's Child :bow:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I've just been listening to Free's album Fire And Water :grinthumb

Mr Big

YES!!!! YES!!!! and a resounding YES!
Now that's what I'm talking about!
The one song off that album that was strictly played on the the radio was "All Right Now" which is great.. But.. Mr. Big.. WOW!! What a great song.. wonder what and who they were talking about..
Oh Ya.. Paul Rogers.. Lead singer on Free.. :grinthumb

rare-earth-willie_remembers-21.jpg
Been getting into my Rare Earth stuff lately.. "Willie Remembers is actually a very cool album.
Rare Earth was in the line up along with bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Heart, and a hoard of others at the Cal. Jam II which me and my friends had the privilege to attend!!

Pete Hoorelbeke / Drums, Percussion & Lead Vocal

Gil Bridges / Woodwinds, Percussion & Vocal
Mike Urso / Bass guitar & Vocal
Ray Monette / Lead guitar

These guys were big and it's different to have a drummer singing lead vocals..

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online