Raise your hand if you're a fan of Pulp

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Raise Your Hand If Like Pulp

Pulp

Pulp001.jpg

Pulp is a band that was formed in 1978 but it wasn't until the 90's with the explosion of Britpop that they had any success with their breakthrough album "His 'n' Hers" in 1994 and it's two top 40 singles, "Do You Remember the First Time?" (a favorite of mine) and "The Sisters EP".
It's follow up, "Different Class", was released in 1995 and topped the UK charts, spawned the hit singles "Common People", "Sorted for E's & Wizz", "Mis-Shapes", "Disco 2000", and "Something Changed", and has gone on to be one of the most celebrated independent albums of all time with its lead single "Common People" being herald as one of the greatest indie anthems ever recorded.
Frontman Jarvis Cocker performed a (in)famous prank at the 1996 Brit Awards during Michael Jackson's performance of "Earth Song". As a form of protest he rushed onto the stage in the middle of Jackson's performance and "wiggled his backside" at the audience. Jackson and his camp complained about this incident and claimed that Cocker had assaulted the children performers and because of this Cocker spent the rest of the night in prison (this is perhaps VERY ironic considering such a complaint is coming from Michael Jackson). He was released the next day with no problems. In the aftermath of this incident much of the British public hopped aboard the Jarvis bandwagon. Pulp's sales soared, their upcoming arena tour (their first at that) was a success, several groups jokingly made "Justice for Jarvis" shirts and passed them out at shows throughout their tour, and one magazine even suggested Jarvis Cocker should be knighted. :heheh:
It was during this period of peak success that guitarist, violinist, and longtime member Russell Senior decided to leave the band. Apparently he had really come to question his future with the band when the song "Something Changed" was released as a single because he disliked it. His final reasons for leaving where that he simply didn't find it creatively rewarding to be involved with Pulp anymore and wanted to move past it.
Pulp had intended on recording and releasing a new album in 1996 but because of Russell Senior's departure and a slew of personal problem around Jarvis Cocker, such as cocaine addiction, their next album wouldn't be released until three years later.
Their sixth album, "This Is Hardcore", reached #1 on the UK charts (it is also their only album to chart in the States, though it did not even crack the top 100) and this album is darker in nature than their previous releases. Like "Different Class" four singles were released off this album but unlike "Different Class" only one reached the top ten ("Help The Aged"), though the remaining three still charted well with title track reaching #12 and "A Little Soul" and "Party Hard" both peaking in the 20's.
After spending another three years between albums (apparently "in the wilderness") Pulp released what is thus far their last album, "We Love Life". It debuted at #6 and was met with positive reviews but fell off the chart after only three weeks.
Because of the weak chart life of "We Love Life" and a combination of Jarvis Cocker's success with other projects (including a solo career) and criticism from the tabloids (among other issues) Pulp went on an extend hiatus in 2002 and as of October 2009 Cocker has no intentions to reunite Pulp, though he claims that he could be financially swayed.

Over the course of their career (especially with their pre "His 'n' Hers" albums) Pulp's sound has changed but their most identifiable characteristics are singer Jarvis Cocker's very Bowie like baritone voice and blend of bright alternative rock fused with disco influences and kitchen sink styled lyrics.

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I can't honestly say I've been able to get into the band fully but this one song is gold IMO! I love songs that build and this one does it masterfully! The energy that comes out once the song picks up at 2:45 is a blast of greatness!

Like A Friend

Zombeels

Reaction score
Kind of off topic but I'm absolutely in love with the girl in the Common People video who is dancing. She's wearing a blue top and a purple skirt.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
*half raises hand*

I've only heard a few of their songs, that I like. I also like Ultravox, who I think they're involved with somehow, and I quite like Jarvis Cocker's latest solo single.

I decidedly need to listen to more of them :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I can't honestly say I've been able to get into the band fully but this one song is gold IMO! I love songs that build and this one does it masterfully! The energy that comes out once the song picks up at 2:45 is a blast of greatness!

Like A Friend

That's a fave of mine too Sooty. That's actually the song that first brought them to my attention. :grinthumb

*half raises hand*

I've only heard a few of their songs, that I like. I also like Ultravox, who I think they're involved with somehow, and I quite like Jarvis Cocker's latest solo single.

I decidedly need to listen to more of them :grinthumb

I've never heard of Ultravox and while I am a fan of Jarvis I've never actually listening to any of his solo work mostly out of spite for breaking the band up.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
My bad, Ultravox has nothing to do with them, they're just another band recommended by the last person who recommended Pulp to me. Their greatest hits album is on it's way for me though :grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Good thread Cosmic! Pulp are[ lets hope not were ]a good band! Ohhhh! got lots of memories......The 1st time i saw them was probably 1983 in Sheffield uk supporting gothic band DANSE SOCIETY. There were about 50 people there..the main band had just released their debut single and were causing a bit of abuzz...lots of posey goths where ever you looked! Then came on a young skinny lad with glasses[ Jarvis] with his band....dressed in ....CURTAINS!!!:wtf::lmao:[ I Kid you not...i have photos lol ] Just the imagery alone sparked me to think of early DEVO [ :heheh: I LOVE Devo].
I saw PULP several times later in the next year or two and saw their progress....but i always had a STRONG FEELING that Jarvis Cocker was going to be a star! As fate would have it...in 1984 my band at the time supported PULP....and when PULP came onstage Jarvis covered the stage in toilet paper ! lol Of course years have passedby, but Jarvis stuck by his guns ignoring 80s fashion until success deservedly arrived. He has a great voice and is a master in writing lyrics with irony and humour. The solo album is brill too:cheers:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Raises hand all the way into the air!!!
Yes I'm a fan of Pulp and Jarvis is the bomb.
Don't really know their early stuff I'm more a fan of when they made it albums His 'n' Hers,Different Class,This Is Hardcore and We Love Life. Also like Jarvis, his solo album.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online