Raine Maida - The Hunter's Lullabye (2007)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Artist: Raine Maida

Album: The Hunter's Lullabye

Year of Release: 2007

Why I like him:

For those of you who don't recognize the name, Raine Maida, then maybe the light bulb will flash when I say he's the front man for Canadian band "Our Lady Peace"! I didn't catch "Our Lady Peace" until their fourth release (Spiritual Machines) where I caught the single "Life" from Canadian (connection maybe :humm:) music channel Much Music! The song instantly sounded different to me and most of that is owed to Raine Maidas very unique sounding vocals. Experience my first moment through this video:

I bought the "Spiritual Machines" album and honestly it still doesn't stick with me. I've found as I went on it's their strangest one to date and kind of messy to me. The seed of curiousity was planted nonetheless. I found my cousin from NY was wicked into them and he introduced me to their earlier albums. He introduced me to their second release "Clumsy" where he planted enough seeds like:

The biggest seed was a song that was really personal to him and approached a subject matter I had never seen tackled so well. This last song had me buy my second OLP album as I found both a unique voice and now good songwriting.

It wasn't until the 2002 album "Gravity" album where I where reached my peak with OLPs music. It was the first album where I felt they really fleshed out their unique sound (altering the vocals slightly) and made it work into an all access pop rock album matchbox 20 should be jealous of. I loved it track by track but here are my favorites:

Synced with my favorite movie "The Crow"

So after that c.d. gained a huge place in my musical rotation I also kept my eyes pealed and ears open for anything Our Lady Peace. So one day, while walking through a Newbury Comics I was flipping and saw this:

g_876033702.gif

I had no idea this album was made! It had a very bland cover and an $18 price tag (it was an import). I still don't know why I bought it but I think it was curiosity about a guy from a mildly successful pop rock group gets to release low radar solo album and do what he wants. I had known both him and his wife, singer Chantal Kreviazuk, were both great songwriters and producers behind the scenes and I could tell this would be a laid back songwriter album! What I found was far beyond that!

Why I love the album:

From the first note of this I was blown away! The vibe of the very first song was hypnotic and enchanting. As I listened to the track in the car where the rhythmic piano groove was going I heard not a singer but something similar to a beat poet punctuating the music with pop culture poetry. I was hooked and even the musically unadventurous companion that was with me perked up and said: "Hey, I really like this!" That's when I knew I'd found something! The album is very simple instrumentally but you won't feel the music is! You feel like you're listening to a man who built his kingdom with the simplest of tools and built a monument that is relatable and exotic at the same time to even the most worldly of people! Lyrically, Raine Maida is a storyteller who doesn't judge. He calmly explains himself and at his most pointed he gives you the energy to protest and process hope in turmoil. No offense to Our Lady Peace but with this c.d. I think Raine Maida found his voice on his own turf more than he ever did in his band!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Raine Maida-The Hunter's Lullabye (From OLP to solo)

As always, top notch thread Bry! Our Lady Peace and Raine Maida are new to me. I listened to the videos you posted, and by my comparison I like Raine Maida solo. I would have to get the CD's to make a full, honest comparison.

Raine has a much darker sound solo. Almost ambient. This is much more apealing to me. Our Lady Peace is too "pop" sounding for my tastes.

Is "The Hunters Lullaby" the only album by Raine?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

As always, top notch thread Bry! Our Lady Peace and Raine Maida are new to me. I listened to the videos you posted, and by my comparison I like Raine Maida solo. I would have to get the CD's to make a full, honest comparison.

Raine has a much darker sound solo. Almost ambient. This is much more apealing to me. Our Lady Peace is too "pop" sounding for my tastes.

Is "The Hunters Lullaby" the only album by Raine?

Yes, it is so far Magic! :) Our Lady peace put a new one out after this so I'm not sure when Raine will get the solo urge again! He's a pretty busy guy considering he also helps other artist with songwriting as well! I almost agreee with you about liking him better solo but then again I love the Our Lady peace "Gravity album track for track as well! Raines solo really stands out to me as the more creative one though! :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I have to agree, the man is creative and talented. I am going to get this CD, most definitely.

F

FoxyPage

I didn't know he had a solo album. I lost interest in OLP a few years ago. I used to love them back in the day, especially in the Superman's Dead time. I'll have to check this out, I've always liked Raine.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Missed this thread somehow, never got into OLP, but from the eloquent in depth writing you have done on Raine I might have to pick up his CD and check it out.

Nice intelligent/illuminating thread as always Bry.:grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Our Lady Peace is my favorite Canadian band and one of my favorite alt bands. "Clumsy" is by far their best album, though "Spiritual Machines" is pretty good too. Once they got to their biggest success "Gravity" though I feel like they sold their distinctive alternative sound for commercial success with "Somewhere Out There" and "Innocent".....though I do enjoy both of those too since they got me into the band in the first place. Raine's vocals are stellar and distinctive with how his voice gets shaky and laced with paranoia. I picked up his solo work and it's good but I prefer early OLP.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Cool stuff and great write up!! You always have plenty of videos....:grinthumb

Earthless and Superman's Dead are two of my favorites posted!!!

:cheers:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I'm going to be the turd in the toilet with my comment.. I clicked the first video you posted and heard that same style of singing I'm am becoming all too familiar with. *sigh*
There's no love affair with me and this type of music.. I just can't spend time with it..
Maybe one day "I'll Get It" :bonk:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online