Desert Island Disk
Ful Stop
Glass Eyes
Identikit
The Numbers
Present Tense
Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief
True Love Waits

It's a bit weird for me to be talking so highly about an album that was released by a band that I literally wanted nothing to do with. I'm sure that's been the same with a lot of people that kind of sent Radiohead into their own black hole in terms of attempts to get into their music. A Moon Shaped Pool, although it's a fantastic album, I don't really know whether it's going to make me an official Radiohead fan, because I can barely listen to their other albums without cringing. The music is fantastic, but on their earlier albums, I just can't stand Thom Yorke. That's the same with a lot of people as well. This album however, he really changed it up and used his voice in a way that suits him a lot better. It's much more relaxing and calming to listen to instead of trying to be different for the sake of being different.

The entire album is actually fantastic, and it flows really well. I've listened to this album twice since it's release, and I'm giving it it's third listen as I write this review. It's still as good as I heard it the first time, and it does continue to get better. This album in particular really does remind me of The Pineapple Thief in a huge way, more specifically their Variations on a Dream album. They both have that calming atmospheric feel to them that I cling to really easily. It makes for a very nice listening experience without really wanting to pay attention to detail that much. Of course, attention to detail is important, there are times where I just like to have background music and this albums amongst many other artists really does fit the bill.

If you're hesitant to give this album a listen because of your experience with Radiohead, I'd strongly suggest putting any past opinions behind just for this album, because it really will be a nice experience for you. I'm one of the biggest contributors to the "Radiohead hate club" so if I can say with a straight face that this album is good, let that mean something to you. Definitely do give it at least one listen, don't throw it off because of your opinions on Radiohead. In my opinion, if this is the direction they continue to go with future releases, Radiohead may become a regular listen for me, and yes, I will try to get into their earlier releases, but looking forward, i'll be excited to see where they go from this album.

Standout tracks include: Desert Island Disk, Ful Stop, Burn The Witch

Last edited:

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Thanks for the great review @Prime. Makes me want to go out and get the album. I'm a huge fan of their earlier albums and have been disappointed by the last few albums. Along with your review as well as a lot of other postivive reviews, it sounds like they're back on track :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Thanks for the great review @Prime. Makes me want to go out and get the album. I'm a huge fan of their earlier albums and have been disappointed by the last few albums. Along with your review as well as a lot of other postivive reviews, it sounds like they're back on track :grinthumb

Thank you. I've not been a big fan of them at all, and I know Kid A and Ok Computer get a lot of positive response, but I could never get into them. The funny thing is, A Moon Shaped Pool has the potential to be my album of the year. Granted, Tool and Metallica are both said to be releasing albums this year, so we'll see.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah this was a great album. I love the ambient direction they took here.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Yeah, that's more the reason I like it more than anything. It really allows for an easy listening experience. I listened to it twice today and I sort of zoned out in a good way.

Thank you, sir.

you are most welcome...:grinthumb

TunesEm

Reaction score
Thanks for this. I am on the fence about a lot of their newer work but I do think this is definitely worth a listen at the very least.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
I've had this album a while now and am still on the fence about it. There are some really good tracks, but others are real duds. Guess I'll have to listen to it a few more times before it makes sense :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online