Radio Moscow

agiam9

Reaction score
These guys came on my Pandora station and ever since I've become obsessed with them, they kind of take the monochrome rock of the Black Keys and White Stripes and bring back essences of late 60s - early 70s blues rock bands like Cream and Jimi Hendrix, formed with that same Power Trio manner that was popular back then. Allmusic.com says it much better than I do though, so here's their review, enjoy!

Named for the pre-Cold War precursor to the propaganda outlet Voice of Russia, Radio Moscow are a blues-rock trio from Ames, Iowa, with a similarly anachronistic retro feel. Where bands like the Black Keys (whose guitarist Dan Auerbach produced Radio Moscow's debut album) and the White Stripes play with a stripped-down, modern take on the old power trio sound, Radio Moscow hark back to the glory days of the power trio, when Cream, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, and Blue Cheer roamed the earth and the power of the Marshall stack was unquestioned. Radio Moscow formed in Ames in 2004, a collaboration between two garage punk enthusiasts whose tastes had shifted into the heavy side of late-'60s psychedelia. Guitarist, singer, songwriter, and drummer Parker Griggs and bassist Luke McDuff approached Auerbach with a demo following a Black Keys gig, and the more established musician was impressed enough to both produce their debut album and to get the duo signed to his label, Alive Records. Although Griggs and McDuff recorded their self-titled first album as a duo, the pair hired drummer Mayuko to complete the trio for live purposes shortly before the album's release. The band continued as a two-piece for 2009's Brain Cycles and 2011's The Great Escape of Leslie Magnafuzz. In 2012, Alive released 3 & 3 Quarters, an album Griggs recorded by himself in 2003 when he was 17 years old and much more heavily influenced by Pebbles-style garage rock. (Allmusic.com)

radio moscow - hold on me - YouTube

Radio Moscow - 250 Miles - YouTube

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
The mention of the Black Keys, White Stripes, Cream and Hendrix got my attention big time :) so I had to check these guys out - and wow they are amazing! I reckon my other half with rate them too, so will direct him towards this thread! Will definitely look into buying some of their gear. Thanks for the intro :grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Thanks agian for the nod, this band seem to have a great vibe going on. I'll be digging deeper for sure. :cheers2

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online