R.I.P. Wayne Fontana

SloopJohnB

Reaction score
Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders "Game of Love" 1965...

Raw and live...

Wayne Fontana passed away at age 74 on August 6, 2020. RIP.

Gibraltar

Reaction score
At the moment I’m reading a superb updated biography of 10cc - Eric Stewart describes how Wayne Fontana walked away from the Mindbenders at the height of their success when they’d just had a US number one. Wayne’s solo career didn’t take off, and he seems to have had a troubled time since then, but he was as much part of the ‘British Invasion’ as anyone else, and made some quality music in his time.

E-Z

Reaction score
Wayne Fontana was a name I heard a little bit back in the mid 1960s as a youngster growing up. The only names other than Wayne Fontana that I recall hearing while living in London in 1964/65 as a youngster were The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Cliff Richard & the Shadows, Freddie & the Dreamers, Gerry & the Pacemakers, The Dave Clarke 5, Chubby Checker and starting to 'happen' was The Monkees via television in 1966.

RIP Wayne...

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Sad to see Wayne gone..his songs ( Mindbenders)..were a kind of tapestry or background to my childhood.
Shiny mini cars, jangly pop and great gear..what trouble free times, when most folks had the same and we weren't too introspective; living for the weekend!
Good times.
Great to see a pre 10cc singer in action here- performing a song penned by Carol Bayer Sager who had to wait over ten years to score her own chart hit - Movin' Out.
I always liked Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders since appearing in the beat classic movie To Sir With Love.
RIP Wayne.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online

No members online now.