R.I.P. Dr. John

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Some incredibly sad news this morning....

Mac Rebennack, the New Orleans pianist, singer-songwriter and producer better known as Dr. John, died Thursday at the age of 77. The cause of death was a heart attack, according to his family.

“Towards the break of day on June 6, 2019, iconic music legend Malcolm John Rebennack, Jr., professionally known as Dr. John, passed away of a heart attack,” his family said in a statement. “As a Rock N Roll Hall of Fame inductee, six-time Grammy winner, songwriter, composer, producer and performer, he created a unique blend of music which carried his hometown, New Orleans, at its heart, as it was always in his heart. The family thanks all whom have shared his unique musical journey, and requests privacy at this time. Memorial arrangements will be arranged in due course.”

Although best known for his Seventies solo work and radio hits like “Right Place, Wrong Time,” Rebennack had a career that spanned pop history. He was a key part of the “Wrecking Crew” stable of ace Los Angeles session musicians in the Sixties. He played on recordings by Cher, Aretha Franklin, Canned Heat, Frank Zappa and countless others, fusing funk with R&B and boogie woogie.

dr-john-obit.jpg

As correctly stated above, he might be best known for his earlier albums, but I'll be damned if I don't mention Locked Down from 2002, which I consider a modern classic.

Rest in peace, Mac!

E-Z

Reaction score
Never really listened to Dr. John although I knew who he was but that New Orleans influenced R&B/blues gumbo stuff that he performed wasn't to my taste and apart from hearing the songs Right Place Wrong Time and She Walked On Gilded Splinters I could possibly imagine what the rest of his material was like. A few years or so after the New Orleans floods back in 2005 Dr.John put out a cd in aid of the clean up operation that I bought mainly because Eric Clapton appeared on one or two tracks but I never played it and shortly after buying the cd I re-sold it.

RIP Dr. John...

Last edited:

Fabio

Reaction score
An artist that can be considered a milestone in the rock music evolution. He proved that a combination of different styles and genres can generate masterpieces. He's gone but his records will remain with us forever.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online