Queensryche (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Although I personally didn't like Dedicated or Frequency Unknown I actually do agree Magic some of those albums had some good stuff to remember. I am curious to your thoughts on Operation Mindcrime II?
Operation Mindcrime II is just ok. You can tell the band was in chaos just by the music. It lacked that cohesion you get when band members are happy and working together. It’s like an orchestra without a proper conductor on the podium.

The production was off, too. The sound quality was substandard for Queensryche. The rhythm section was muted. In my opinion, OM II sounded rushed; it could have been tweaked a bit more and I think we all would have felt better about the album.

Mr Mojo Risin

Cactus Brew Drinker
Reaction score
Operation Mindcrime and The Warning will always be my favorites. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on their discography, @Magic . It makes me want to give more of them a chance outside of the first handful of albums. I thank you especially for recommending American Soldier... Which I went and listened to recently a few times over. It was a touching surprise. Very emotive and dark.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This was a pivotal year for Queensryche(s). A lot going on in 2013.

Both versions of Queensryche released albums.

Geoff Tate files a lawsuit to prevent old members from using the name “Queensryche” as well as old songs. The old members file a counter law suit to prevent Geoff Tate from using the “Queensryche” name and old songs.
Queensryche #1

Queensryche #2
  • Geoff Tate – lead vocals (on all tracks)
  • Kelly Gray – guitar solo (on track 1)
  • Robert Sarzo – guitar solo (track 3)
  • Rudy Sarzo – bass (on tracks 1, 5, and 9)
  • Simon Wright – drums (on tracks 1 and 5)
  • Randy Gane – keyboards (on tracks 1, 5–6, and 8–10), bass (on track 10), orchestration (on track 14), answering machine message (on track 12)
Additional musicians
  • Craig Locicero – rhythm guitars (on tracks 1–10)
  • Jason Slater – bass (on tracks 2–4, and 6–8), keyboards (on tracks 7–8), theremin solo (on track 2), recording, production, mixing
  • Martín Irigoyen – all guitars, bass, and drums (on tracks 11–14)
  • Evan Bautista – drums (on tracks 2–4, and 10)
Guest appearances (in order of appearance)
As you can see above Geoff Tate didn’t have a fully organized band in 2013, but he had a lot of help from some big names in heavy metal.

On to the album releases…..

IMG_1187.jpeg

From Queensryche #1. “Queensryche”. I have listened to this album numerous times. I like the album. It is my opinion that the remaining band members, along with new vocalist, Todd La Torre, have returned to previous progressive metal form….and in a big way. La Torre fit in perfectly. The vicious dueling guitars are back along side a bombastic percussion.

If you were to play the following song without knowing who, what, or when; it could be mistaken for early Queensryche….DeGarmo & Tate days.

In This Light

Queensryche #1 waste no time flexing their progressive muscles with an opening song written by the newcomer to the band, Parker Lundgren. Very melodic, catchy, and a galloping, hard hitting pace. “So here we are again”……

Where Dreams Go To Die

Per my norm, I always pluck out the ballad, especially when the ballad is damn good.

Open Road

I have thoroughly enjoyed “Queensryche”. Thank gawd they returned to progressive metal form. However, a better choice could have been chosen for an album title. 9/10

IMG_1186.jpeg

From Queensryche #2. “Frequency Unknown (FU)”
I listened to this album a couple times. Enough to be familiar with the album. I am not overly impressed with Frequency Unknown. It isn’t a bad album and it has a very impressive list of musicians helping Geoff along his new path. I went into this album not expecting another “Ryche” album, and I wasn’t setting super high expectations. What we get is a decent hard rock album with some excellent guitar solos.

Running Backwards (Kk Downing solo). Dark, deep, distortion maxed, with good vocals…catchy but lyrically dull…

My Pick off the album…a ballad…with Megadeth’s Chris Poland on solo. Beautiful song, IMO. Best on the album!

The Weight Of The World

Overall, FU is a decent album. Consistently good sound quality, good vocals & harmonies. 7/10

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Lawsuits are Settled.

Geoff Tate becomes Operation Mindcrime.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members